My question is I am preparing to order my queens for next year and was wondering if there are any significant differences between Carniolans & Italians Queens.Temperment and honey production!

You can go down in the Queen & Bee Breeding section & find alot of veiws on the 2,from what I've read in YOUR part of the country,the Carniolans look's good.>>>>Mark

you might want to look at buying russians, I have all three russians (excellent producers) Italian (nice to work with) carnolians (like swarming) I think the best is 1/2 russian and 1/2 italian

I have Carniolans and love 'em. Gentle, build up fast and don't need as much winter stores. I think, half as much as italians. They do tend to swarm but thats a management question. Stay ahead of them, give them room, Demaree them (aka Reverse them) and make splits.

dickm

rocky ridge bees Guest

I have 9 russian hives , they tend to supersede alot.great honey makers start off slow but boom beter have them honey supers ready.

I have two carniolan hives. I started with italians last season but I requeened with carniolans last autumn. They have been fairly gentle, built up fast this past spring, and made plenty of honey (as compared with other beekeepers in my area for this season). The only downside is the swarming. I had three swarms that I know of. Next season I will be more diligent about swarm prevention and hope to have better success. Oh, they overwintered great (southeastern massachusetts).