Default 2 hives without Queens / Did they die from Dysentary or Nosema? Appears as Mild Case

Hi All
    I got all 4 of my hives through winter, though two had apparently lost their Queen, as no new broad was present, nor did I see a queen (One set Carniolan, one set Taber Italian). I ordered two replacement Carniolans from California, and introduced them last week. It was over 24 hours in the hive before I manually released them. Within hours pollen began to flow into both the hives. They now have sucked down a half gallon of 1 to 1 sugar water. I also held off on the Apilife Var so as to allow the two rulers to invest in the hive. I plan on treating this weekend with the Apilife Var treatment.
    My question is regarding treating these two weaker hives with Fumagilin-B, as they both exhibited very mild cases of either Dysentary of Noxema. A little runny feces was present on the outside of the hive, and a little inside runny mess inside the hives existed as well. I bought a small bottle of Fumagilin-B(treats up to 5 gallons), but really do not want to use it if it is only dysentery. As I heard that Noxema really affects the Queen, this makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and treat them for it, or should I hold off with the Fumagilin-B? I am really trying to keep my hives as natural as possible. Please advise.
    Regards,
    Greathorned

Default Re: 2 hives without Queens / Did they die from Dysentary or Nosema? Appears as Mild C

I'm sorry I can't help you on the question of Fumagilin-B as I am too much a novice to have a useful opinion on that. I'm sure some of the other readers will be able to give better advice..

But you mentioned that you intended to use Apilife Var., which I presume is for varroa mites? Have you done rolls or sticky boards this season (and what parameters did you use to decide to treat) or are you basing your treatment decsion on some other factor? My hives had low mite drop numbers in the fall and over the winter (and still do) but it's not zero. (Though I have do one hive that frequently has zero.) I want to use the lowest, least "toxic", longest interval treatments that I can and I am trying to get a handle on what works for other people. Last year I treated two of my three with Apiguard in September.

I am in the Albany/Capital District and I note you are in Ithaca. Are your hives there, too?

Thanks for any info you care to share.

Enjambres

Default Re: 2 hives without Queens / Did they die from Dysentary or Nosema? Appears as Mild C

I have been treating for 3 years with fall dose of ApiLife Var (3 separate wafers over 3-4 weeks), and spring dose (3 separate wafers over 3-4 weeks). I have not lost a hive at my current apiary yet. I do not test, except in the field on occasion. yes, the hives are here south of Ithaca, NY. ALV was suggested by one of the expert members that also posts here on Beesource. It was the best sage advice to utilize ApiLife V. APILIFE V appears to be an all natural product, at least so i understand. i have had several more experienced people stand in disbelief at my strongest hive, as it ramps up hard and boils at its peak with bees....LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    I'm sorry I can't help you on the question of Fumagilin-B as I am too much a novice to have a useful opinion on that. I'm sure some of the other readers will be able to give better advice..

But you mentioned that you intended to use Apilife Var., which I presume is for varroa mites? Have you done rolls or sticky boards this season (and what parameters did you use to decide to treat) or are you basing your treatment decsion on some other factor? My hives had low mite drop numbers in the fall and over the winter (and still do) but it's not zero. (Though I have do one hive that frequently has zero.) I want to use the lowest, least "toxic", longest interval treatments that I can and I am trying to get a handle on what works for other people. Last year I treated two of my three with Apiguard in September.

I am in the Albany/Capital District and I note you are in Ithaca. Are your hives there, too?

Thanks for any info you care to share.

Enjambres

What is the active ingredient in ApiLifeVar.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    What is the active ingredient in ApiLifeVar.
    "Thymol plus Eucalyptus Oil, Menthol and Camphor." are the active ingredients.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by greathorned View Post
    Hi All
    They now have sucked down a half gallon of 1 to 1 sugar water.
    My question is regarding treating these two weaker hives with Fumagilin-B, as they both exhibited very mild cases of either Dysentary of Noxema. A little runny feces was present on the outside of the hive, and a little inside runny mess inside the hives existed as well.
    Regards,
    Greathorned
    one of the symptoms of nosema is not taking down the sugar water, yours are so they probably do not have nosema, small clusters can't break cluster during warmer breaks, and must exert more energy to stay warm than a larger cluster, ie they will go to the bathroom in and on the hive. your bees should be fine if the new queens brood starts to hatch.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Pardon me for asking, but, isn't the stuff you are asking about called Fumidil-B, active ingredient Fumagilin? Nosema, not Noxema. What do the directions which should have come w/ the product recommend as to use?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I am looking at the Bottle, and it is spelled Fumagilin-B. As far as my mutilation of the disease, yes Nosema ….not Noxema….OOOOooops on me on that one. Please forgive the professor….LOL