I got all 4 of my hives through winter, though two had apparently lost their Queen, as no new broad was present, nor did I see a queen (One set Carniolan, one set Taber Italian). I ordered two replacement Carniolans from California, and introduced them last week. It was over 24 hours in the hive before I manually released them. Within hours pollen began to flow into both the hives. They now have sucked down a half gallon of 1 to 1 sugar water. I also held off on the Apilife Var so as to allow the two rulers to invest in the hive. I plan on treating this weekend with the Apilife Var treatment.
My question is regarding treating these two weaker hives with Fumagilin-B, as they both exhibited very mild cases of either Dysentary of Noxema. A little runny feces was present on the outside of the hive, and a little inside runny mess inside the hives existed as well. I bought a small bottle of Fumagilin-B(treats up to 5 gallons), but really do not want to use it if it is only dysentery. As I heard that Noxema really affects the Queen, this makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and treat them for it, or should I hold off with the Fumagilin-B? I am really trying to keep my hives as natural as possible. Please advise.