Thread: bee ventalation

Question

I am looking for Ideas for summer ventilation of my hives. I have seen the solar powered one in ABJ. Has anyone used it? What other ways do you use to keep your bees cool in the summer?

Hi,

An old way to ventilate is to raise the hive off the bottom board by placing blocks under the corners. You can also prop the outer cover with a stick (or block of wood). some beekeepers put sticks between supers so there is just enough space for bees to go in and out. You also have the option of drilling holes in the hive bodies ( I wouldn't as it makes moving bees difficult). A notch in the inner cover is good for winter ventilation. My typical setup is with colonies at 5 deep tall (up to 7). Just leave the bottom entrance open. Above the brood chambers (3 deep) I place a stick for center vent. At the top I pull outer cover so that the notch in the inner cover is exposed. It is important to weight down the lid with a brick or rock so the wind doesn't blow it off. In some cases I put a stick under the outer cover.

Clay

Another method for improving ventilation is via the screened bottom board. This has the advantage of ventilation and IPM. If you just support the hive body on 4 concrete blocks at the corners, how do you provide a landing area?

Hi,

If you just support the hive body on 4 concrete blocks at the corners, how do you provide a landing area?

reply:

Sorry, I wasn't clear about this. Not concrete blocks. Just scrap 2x4 blocks to lift the hive off the bottom board. Snelgrove mentions this in his book swarming: its control and prevention as well as other authors from that time period. Excellent book!

Clay

BILLY BOB Guest

Big Grin

I'm in Georgia, and during the summer I've found the screened bottom board to work best. I also take a shallow super (without the frames) and drill 1 1/2" holes around the out side of it. Place some screen over the holes, on the inside. If the hive is built up tall I may take some of the screen off one or more of the holes and use it for a entrance. I call this a hive attic. If the hive grows taller still, I place 3/8" wood strips in between the suppers, leaving a 4 or 6 inch opening at the front. For a entrance and ventilation.

Big Grin

Thanks for the replies. I will try your method with the extra super on top.