Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Copper for Mite control

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Tim B 
#1 ·
Any one know of any tests with copper be done for mite control… and old Beekeeper said he picked some free copper screen for his hives. He uses it for bottom boards and feeds he makes… He told me that the mites in the hives with the copper screen have dropped to all most zero … I’m going to try it… but I don’t check my hives like I know some of you do, and would like to have some one give it a try and let me know.

#4 ·
He just has the copper metal screen in the bottom of four of his 20 his hives it’s got to be better than aluminum, or galvanized screen. He has top feeders on two hives with copper screen on them its food safe and bee safe as far as I know. He is not feeding them copper.

#5 ·
A copper screen should not effect honey whatsoever. Feeding them copper could be very bad. We need copper in our diet, but to much leads to very severe neurological problems. Copper is a very popular metal for household plumbing. Copper containers are food safe.

For it to work, however, would mean that the copper is "poisoning" the mites. Possible I suppose. Excess copper is a neurotoxin. I guess the mites would have to be extremely sensitive to copper.

Disclaimer: I'm no chemist or scientist.

[ June 21, 2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: MichaelW ]

#6 ·
>A copper screen should not effect honey whatsoever . . .
Any test results??

>Feeding them copper could be very bad . . .
Any test results?

>to much leads to very severe neurological problems . . .
What do "we" and mites and honey bees have in common?

>Copper containers are food safe . . .
Where can I buy some?

>Copper is a very popular metal for household plumbing . . .

And without the coating that forms inside the pipe (protects the water from exposure), how much copper would be drinking?

>would mean that the copper is "poisoning" the mites . . .
Does it poison or REPEL mites?

>Disclaimer: I'm no chemist or scientist . . .
Me either

#8 ·
>>Copper containers are food safe . . .
>Where can I buy some?

Haven't you ever heard of a copper kettle

>Feeding them copper could be very bad . . .
Any test results?
If you feed them copper, in some form, and it contaminates your honey, then you eat the copper and your getting more copper than you probably should. Thats just logic.

>And without the coating that forms inside the pipe (protects the water from exposure), how much copper would be drinking?

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/waterquality/442-944/442-944.pdf
Evaluation of
Household
Water Quality
in
Suffolk, Virginia

"Copper. The EPA health standard for copper in public drinking water supplies is 1.3 mg/L,
the maximum level recommended to protect people from acute gastrointestinal illness. Even
lower levels of dissolved copper may give water a bitter or metallic taste and produce bluegreen
stains on plumbing fixtures. Consequently, EPA has established an SMCL for copper of
1.0 mg/L in household water.
Two samples in both the both the tap water and raw water groups exceeded the recommended
health level of 1.3 mg/L. Four samples in each group exceeded the SMCL of 1.0 mg/L.
Since natural levels of copper in groundwater are low, and the primary contributor of copper in
drinking water is corrosion of copper water pipes and fittings, low copper levels were expected,
even in the case of tap water samples, assuming that water lines were flushed properly prior to
sampling, of which a number apparently were not."

Seeing PVC can leach;
Di(2-ethylhexyl)adipate;
Tetrachloroethylene;
Vinyl chloride;
http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/dw/files/swap_appendix_O.pdf
I'll take my plumbing in copper thank you very much. I just ran about 200 feet at my house for that reason.

>Disclaimer: I'm no chemist or scientist . . .

my disiclaimer was ment to void me from any obligation to provide supporting peer reviewed evidence.

#9 ·
The only copper kettle I have experience w/ is lined w/ tin to prevent the contents from coming into contact w/ the copper.

Iron, brass, zinc, and COPPER will discolor beeswax. What are its effect on honey?

>my disiclaimer was ment to void me from any obligation to provide supporting peer reviewed evidence . . .
Sorry youre upset.

[ June 21, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Dave W ]

#10 ·
"...is lined w/ tin .."

...hmm, true, good point.

I still say the effect of bees crawling over copper screen will have no effect on the honey or bee health. Its not like sticking a block of lead in there.

For the mites, if it repels' them are you thinking some kind of electro magnetic hoody doody?

I don't get upset over beesource. I should have added some
's after my response.

#11 ·
>electro magnetic hoody doody . . .

Now we are talking! Lets wrap bare copper wire around our hives and hope for a LIGHTNING STRIKE
Mites all gone

Actually I was thinking about how a copper bracelet "repel" aches and pains

Maybe we could just put the bracelet in our smoker and let a "cool cloud green smoke" do the job.

I think this "copper thing" needs more research . . . please send money!

#17 ·
Copper is one of lifes mixed blessings.
We all know we use it in plumbing.

For years it was used in the pressure treatment of wood, but it was so toxic that it got banned from school yards and public park playgrounds because of the risk of exposure to kids. ( in Toronto at least )

It was also used in another form as a bottom paint for boats, especially in salt water, to keep of banrnacle etc, that is until the EPA got on the case and found it so toxic to marine life that it is now banned in the US.

It is also used in very low doses in some swimming pool chemicals as a sanitizer supplement with very weird results. Some blonde gals have their hair turn green from swimming in it. Stains pool decks etc.

So it all depends on the formulation. I would keep it well away from my bees until someone did some pretty good studies to show it safe in honey and for the bees.

So it all

#18 ·
brent,

I'm not a scientist, so I could be wrong (I have been before
}
but

>For years it was used in the pressure treatment of wood, but it was so toxic that it got banned from school yards and public park playgrounds because of the risk of exposure to kids. ( in Toronto at least )

I was reading about pressure treated wood recently and what I got from it was that arsenic is what they got rid of and they still use copper

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

according to that article they actually use a lot more

>It was also used in another form as a bottom paint for boats, especially in salt water, to keep of banrnacle etc, that is until the EPA got on the case and found it so toxic to marine life that it is now banned in the US.

lead is what they got rid of, copper is what they use now. I have a can of Pettit Trinidad (top notch bottom paint) in my hand, cuprouse oxide is the main ingredient

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/PET/PETTRINIDAD.html

don't get me wrong, copper is toxic, but it's used a lot of places (not in my beehives
)

Dave

ps, I just realized you're from Canada, the rules may be different there

[ June 24, 2006, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ]

#19 ·
Copper teapot are not lined.
Copper Kettles (used for making apple butter etc.) are not lined. The only copper lining that I had seen are the modern copper clad pots.

Most of the new-age health braclets that you see advertized on TV are not much more that twisted copper wire that you wear.

And cooper in stills is the 'only approved' configuration - the problems came from people using old radiators which contaied lead as a cheap alternative.

If copper was not save we would have been dead long ago.

A piece of copper wire can even keep slugs out of a flower bed (the salt in slug slime causes the copper to set up electric shock in the slug).

There are lots of things to fear but why fear fear itself.

Food safe - what do you need a governerment stamp?

#20 ·
>I was reading about pressure treated wood recently and what I got from it ........ they still use copper

Interesting. I just replaced some wood on the back deck of my house with pressure treated lumber. The bees seemed to really enjoy crawling around on the lumber.

6--2x4's
3--2x8's
1--4x4

3 lbs. 12d nails

$115

#22 ·
Dave
Lots of things are sold that are not legal to use. We had a boat in the Florida Keys and the boat yard sold copper based paints but would not apply it. You had to put it on yourself.

And you are correct. A big part of the scare on the
PT wood used for playground items was the arsenic, but copper got painted with the same brush at the same time. ( intended )

#23 ·
"And cooper in stills is the 'only approved' configuration - the problems came from people using old radiators which contaied lead as a cheap alternative."

You also have to be careful of the type of Solder you use. Commonly used household plumbing solder can release toxic chemicals into your "shine" due to the heat. From what I understand, Seal Foss solder (I'm sure I just slaughtered the spelling) is "approved" for use in stills. Its the easiest to use also, but more expensive.

#26 ·
it's interesting how all these copper compounds seem to be toxic
Copper Naphtanate is used because it kills stuff trying to eat the wood
same with ACQ which it the new stuff they use on pressure treated lumber
cuprous oxide is used in bottom paint because it kills stuff
but elemental copper used in cookware and stills seem to be fine
seems like having copper in contact with hot food or vaporized alcohol intended for human consumption would be really bad if the elemental copper would hurt you
elemental copper is fairly unreactive with other stuff but is certainly not inert
don't we have a chemist around here who can shed a little light on this??

Dave

[ June 27, 2006, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: drobbins ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.