Hybrid View

We captured a feral hive on Saturday. I created a photo albumn. Let me see if I can use the UBB code to create a link to the pictures.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ton...bum?.dir=/8873

Cool

Good pictures, were you using a generator for your bee vac??

Wow, excellent pictures. I have sooo many questions:

1. How did you manage to find the hive? Did you just happen to notice it in the tree, or did you track them there?

2. Did you find the queen? If so, how? If not, what did you do to replace her?

3. Was there any honey? I assume not, since it is so early in the spring. If there was, how did it taste?

4. How pissed off were they? Did anyone get stung?

5. How long did the whole thing take?

Kai

Really great pictures! You guys are good! I guess we can assume that you were able to capture the queen, true? From the pics, it looked like they had some nice brood comb. Any idea on the age of this hive?

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks. It went really well. We had a good time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>were you using a generator for your bee vac??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, my dad had a small generator. It worked pretty good.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. How did you manage to find the hive? Did you just happen to notice it in the tree, or did you track them there?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The man in the photo in short sleeve shirt is Mr. Charles. He is the landowner. He and my dad go to the same church. He told my dad about the hive and said we were welcome to come get it. I think he was fascinated by the BeeVac.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2. Did you find the queen? If so, how? If not, what did you do to replace her?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if I got the queen. I am hoping so. This was a pretty big hive and I wasn't able to see the queen. The bees are at my Mom's which is about an hour from where I live.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>3. Was there any honey? I assume not, since it is so early in the spring. If there was, how did it taste? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are correct. There was not much honey. Maybe a pint or quart. I took it to my Mom's to strain. I did taste it - it is good honey.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>4. How pissed off were they? Did anyone get stung?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, these were the most gentle bees I have fooled with. I was really surprised. I don't think any of us got stung.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>5. How long did the whole thing take?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took about 3 hours. We started about 9 and were done by 12. We didn't get in any hurry. It was a nice day to get bees. I guess the temp. was around 75 to 80 on Saturday.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Any idea on the age of this hive? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr. Charles said he turned a barrel over about a year ago and bees swarmed out. He figures these are the bees that came out of the barrel.

I am going to get some out of a church on Sunday. They only have morning service so I am going after their morning service is over. This one is going to be much harder to get. A friend of mine goes to church there.

Cool

Hey Caddy,
    Great pictures! When you cut down the tree I would have expected much more damage in the brood nest. I like your BeeVac too - what size (hp) is the motor and how thick is the plexiglass? Thanx

what size (hp) is the motor and how thick is the plexiglass?

It is a 1.5 hp shop vac motor. Really, much more than is needed. The vacumn relief on the back (PVC valve) was completely open during the removal. There was still plenty of vacumn with it open.

The plexiglass is 0.23x inches. A little less than quarter inch. I bought a sheet at Home Depot that was 18 inches wide by 24 inches long. I learned about cutting plexiglass. I first tried to scribe and break it. Then on my second piece that I bought I used a PVC pipe handsaw to cut it. That worked much better.

When building the Bee Vac I was thinking of maybe getting an inverter to run it from. But, the larger inverters (over 1000 watts) are more expensive. The 1.5 hp would need a larger inverter. If one could use a motor that is 1.0 hp or less, then a smaller inverter could be used. Probably 800 watts or so. These smaller ones cost less - I have seen a few on ebay. The inverter could be run from the truck battery. Would probably need to crank the truck and run it some.

Harbor freight has a 2000 watt inverter for $200 or so. I bought one for this purpose but haven't used it yet.

Dickm

Caddy

Very good job, I like your slide presentation. You might think about getting a web page going.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

I have two gums in my back yard if you are not busy Saturday...

Nice job. I really need to start taking pictures when I do these kind of jobs. There is a lot of satisfaction in salvaging a colony like that.

Wow! I am so impressed! I wish I could've been there to see the real thing--short of doing it yoruself the best way to learn is to watch, I think. You really did a nice job of wiring the comb into the frames--that's an art that really fascinates me. What can I say? Kudos!

Man, I feel like some kind of superhero or something. I appreciate all the kind words.
    I really appreciate this website. The plans on Beesource are really nice. Those swarm catcher frames make saving the brood much easier. And I wouldn't have had a clue how to build a beevac without those plans.
    I am going to measure the cell size when I go back into the hive. I had brought a small piece back to my house, but I think it may be some drone cone.
    I also learned that Walmart can save pictures to CD as jpeg files. That is pretty neat. I don't own a digital camera. This lets me spend my extra money on beehives.