Hybrid View

This is my first year and I just installed a nuc and I have a few question. My first question is that when I installed the nuc there was a hole bunch of bee still in the nuc box and I noticed that the queen was not in the hive it was flying around the hive and it was on the landing board but did not look like it wanted to go in. what should I do to make sure that she went in and that all is ok.

My second question is that the was is wider then the frames will that be a problem and how should I fix it, if this is a problem.

Also the frames are not in great condition if I wanted to replace then when would be a good time and how should I do it without disturbing the hive and loosing a lot of bees

Wink

please please Help

Hi,

You will have to leave the poor condition frames for now. As for the queen, wait 7 days and look again. In seven days look to see if the bees are making queen cells which look like a peanuts hanging up and down. If yes that your queen was lost. If no then she's in there. Should your queen be lost order a new one or allow the queen to emerge from cell and fly and mate. Make sure you are feeding your bees too! Please repeat second question as I can't understand it properly.

Clay

Sorry for the confusion English is my second language...

My second question is if I am looking at the frames from the side the cell are wider then the frame and I am not sure if that is normal or not. If it is not normal how can I fix it.

Also when would be a good time for me to remove the old frames, without harming the hive?

Edward

PS thanks so much for the reply the first time around all of this is not evident even if you read the books

Hi Edward -

It is not that unusual for the bees to build the comb out farther than the frame, especially right next to the top bar, as these cells typically get filled with honey for feeding to the brood. They will also build out the comb if your frames are not spaced properly which creates a wider than normal gap between the frames. As long as you have your frames spaced properly, don't worry about it and let the bees do what they want to do.

Over the summer, work these frames toward the outside position. This will inhibit the queen from laying in them. Once all the brood is out of them and honey starts getting stored in them, you can take them out for good. The goal is to get them in positions where the queen won't use them for brood. Once the hive is strong, it won't hurt them one bit to remove those frames as they will have many others for use.

Regards,
    Barry