Thread: varroa count

last weekend i was out in my yards and noticed a surge in mites, some of my colonies,notably the cordovians were the worse. this wednesday i treated with apistan and formic and selected 10 hives in each yard to put sticky boards under, the next day, yesterday, i did a count(24 hours after medication was applied)the worse was a cordovian (274 mites) the lowest was on one of my carniolans (3 mites) my SMR had 5 mites and a beetree i hived in february had 21 mites. the carniolans and a few other hives i have are still the original stock that my father and i had for close to 13 years now, they seem to be splendidly able to keep mite levels down compared to the cordovians (can't wait to pinch there little heads off and give them new queens) so every week i'll post the new mite count on here. so far, it looks like i'll be using my carni darling for a breeder.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I know how ya feel about that carnie darling. I have an italian that has been gangbusters last two years. I also have two daughter hive from the same queen. Will have more of those beauties this year. I also ordered some NCW queens from Tim Arheit for this spring as I would like to add some of them to my yards . Too cold here for me to be taking down my hives . But Sooooon I hope . Rick Alexander
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones

has anyone else out there done mite counts or have hives that might show resistanc to mites? The data i gathered from the count (refer to top post) suggested that my carniolans are resistant to some degree. any thoughts?

sorry i wasn't able to post every week but since i started treatment for the mites (apistan for the past 4 weeks, formic acid on a weekly basis, eo diffusion, and a concetrated eo sugar syrup spray)i've got very few mites now. they are now only 10% drop as what had droped at first formic treatment.

the worse colony i had had 273 mites fall after first treatment(frightning), but the best read was from my SMR X Russian with only 4 mites. my carniolans had from (first drops) 15 to 45 mites and now 3 to 5 mites (but that was after all those treatments).

i'm now convinced that the future of beekeeping will be bees that are resistant to mites. i was just lucky to get the treatments to my hives in time and if i don't start thinking about a hardier bee, i might not be as lucky next time.

> the worse colony i had had 273 mites fall after first treatment(frightning)

273 mites after a efficacious treatment is nothing. You hardly had any mites.

>but the best read was from my SMR X Russian with only 4 mites.

Were the 4 mites worth the expense and trauma for the bees?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Chillard,

Will you also be breeding drones from your Carni stock?

MB said
    >Were the 4 mites worth the expense and trauma for the bees?

Well, there was no other way to really know what the mite level was (i knew it would be in the high range) until i could give them the treatment to knock as many mites down as i could. I've been using formic for over ten years and this is the first time i actually gave 4 treatments a week apart from each other. i lost no queens from it. i lost no brood from it. i seen improvement on most the colonies, reduction of mite and population growth of the bees.

the colony that had the 273 mite count, thats after a 24 hour drop. i cleaned that tray and checked next week and had another 269 fall, i cleaned that tray and checked again the following week and had another 121.

I might just be able to never have to treat my SMR X Russians or bees similar to her that i'll be using in my breeding program and even if just to be on the safe side you did use formic it's not a big deal. i'd use formic over oxalic any day and i'd rather keep check mite and apistan (which don't work worth a ****) out of my hives becuase it's harder on the bees then the mites.

i know if i didn't treat my hives that they would've not been in the good condition they are in now. when i was looking at my hives before i started the treatment and was able to see mites a plenty on the bees, hords of bees hatching with pms, and devreasing populations, you have to know it's only a matter of time then before they'll dwindle to nothingness and most of those that were suffering the hardest were those cordovans.

Aspera asked
    >Will you also be breeding drones from your Carni stock?

the carni's i have are showing good results (a lot better then all the others but not as good as my SMR x Russians) and since i've had this line for a long time i know that she's probably not 100% pure carni but has all the caracteristics that they show and the queen and her workers and drones are black with the lighter colour hair strips (very pretty). what my idea is is to raise daughters off her and let them mate freely with what ever because i'm more intrested in the drones from these carni's next year (their matings will have no bareing on the kind of drones next year) it's those drones that i want to mate with my SMRussky. later on i'd like to get maybe some smart carni's from glenn apiaries.

>Well, there was no other way to really know what the mite level was

There are many ways. Uncap some drone. Do untreated natural mite drops. Sticky boards. Sugar rolls. Ether rolls.

> (i knew it would be in the high range)

Except, unless I have misunderstood, it wasn't in the high range. It was four mites dropped with treatment.

>the colony that had the 273 mite count, thats after a 24 hour drop. i cleaned that tray and checked next week and had another 269 fall, i cleaned that tray and checked again the following week and had another 121.

So that's a total of 700 or so after treatment?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>There are many ways. Uncap some drone. Do untreated natural mite drops. Sticky boards. Sugar rolls. Ether rolls.<
    there was no drone at the time so i used sticky boards and formic as i was treating the hives at the time too.

>Except, unless I have misunderstood, it wasn't in the high range. It was four mites dropped with treatment.<
    I'm sorry, i should of elaborated on this but it was only one hive that had 4 mites and that was the SMR X Russian and that was under first treatment, a few more mites fell after the next couple treatmeats from her but you are right about that mike, 4 count drop is something to start klicking your heals over.

>So that's a total of 700 or so after treatment?<
    yes.

60% of my colonies have cordovian queens in them and they we're the ones being hit hardest. these bees were fine and building up fast all through feburary they kinda came to a stand still then they started to decline in population and thats when i noticed a lot of mites on the bees and a lot hatching with pms. all i'm saying is that i didn't want weak or dead hives and i took thoroughly apropriate measures to prevent a sad inevitable truth of hive losses due to mites and rather turned it around with the treatments to gain a rather pleasing effect of what are now a lot of Kick @$$ colonies that i've already shook 2 pounds of bees from and are about ready for honey supers.

MITE COUNTS - 2004

Apr 15 – 6.8 (75/12)
    Apr 18 – 22.7 (68/3)
    Apr 21 – 32.7 (98/3)
    May 9 – 10.5 (157/15)
    May 12 – 14.0 (42/3)
    May 27 – 53
    Jun 15 – 94
    Jul 7 – 108
    Jul 12 – Apistan IN
    7/13 – 1,444