I need some confirmation here,please.

I've heard that if there are a lot of drone cells in the hive then you will have a lot of drone, because the queen measures the cell and if it's drone sized, she will lay a drone egg.

Then I thought I heard that you don't have to worry about the drone cells because the bees will rework them to the regular size for a worker egg.

Can anyone shed some light here for me?
    Thanks,
    Denise

More drone cells means more drone (unfertilized) egg laying.

I'm saying on pure experience that I have never seen drone comb converted back into worker comb. I checked three books and found no reference to the subject.

Yes, you should worry about the amount of drones. The v-mite has a greater life cycle completion rate in drone cells due to the increased days the drone take to emerge. Meaning an increase of v-mites in relationship to the amount of drone comb.

On a more practical side, think about the extra honey consumed in a hive full of lazy non-worker drones.

If you have alot of drone cells, this is sometimes an indication of old comb, damaged comb or incomplete sheets of foundation being used. Replacement of comb with alot of drone cells is a basic management practice that you should perform.

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited July 27, 2003).]

Thanks!
    D.