My bees are from a swarm captured last year. They dont seem to be building up at all. I have seen the queen just today, but the brood pattern is realy bad. very splotchy and rough. I saw a few bees imerging and some caped brood but the hive is not building at all. There was also one small queen cell that it seemed like a queen had hatched from but still no good pattern or anything. Any advise or help (or a new queen) would help. Thanks.

Ohh, yeah, I am in Denver CO

Most often swarms leave the parent hive and take the OLD queen (the parent hive gets a new virgin queen). Sometimes she's too old to cut the mustard. Many beeks always requeen a swarm for this reason. I usually keep the swarm queen for at least one season in hopes of getting some feral survivor genetics. But, if she is failing like your's, I either give them a frame or two of brood (with fresh eggs) or introduce a new queen.
    Triangle Bees

If it looks like a queen has hatched from that cell, perhaps you have a virgin queen? They won't lay eggs until AFTER they learn to fly and then go on a mating flight. About, say, 2 weeks after hatching.

redear, Do you have anything blooming right now?

I suspect what you are seeing may be normal for bees in northern climates for this time of year. I just checked my colonies last weekend, my colonies (Pennsylvania) are averaging a brood pattern of about softball size on 1 maybe 2 frames and bees covering 3 frames. Some colonies had a spattered type brood pattern, but this can be normal in very early season. The colonies dwindled quite a bit this winter, but they made it thru. We have maple bloom just coming on this week, 3 weeks late.

Db-Land has a good point about the ferals. My feral colonies have slightly smaller than football sized brood pattern on 2 frames, and about 5 to 6 frames of bees, at least twice as strong as the domestics are. The ferals have anticipated the spring bloom and will be strong enough to take advantage of the maple bloom from the start, having many more foragers than the rest. Very impressed with how fit they came thru winter.