Thread: metal cover

Question

My outer hive cover has a galvanized metal tacked onto it. Does this make the hive too hot so that the bees are more likely to swarm?

Most telescoping lids have always been that way with the galvanized tin on the top to protect the wood. been that way for years unless they were painted.
    AKA BEEMAN800

All my lids are that way and I see no unusual swarming in my colonies...

I thought they were cooler since they reflected light heat?

>Does this make the hive too hot so that the bees are more likely to swarm?

No. But any hive will have less problems in the summer with some top ventilation. I would just prop the inner cover with two shingle shims and slide the telecscopic forward to make a top entrance.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,

Are you propping just one edge or all the way around?
    Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com

One shingle shim on each side creating a 1/4" gap across the front of the inner cover (or whatever cover) With a simple migratory cover it would look like this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Migr...pEntrance1.JPG
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

" With a simple migratory cover it would look like this:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Migr...pEntrance1.JPG "

Michael, I added some shims to my migratory covers but they don't have the side boards like yours do- its got a wedge-shaped opening the length of both sides, in addition to the front 1/4" gap. Are the side boards in your top to deal with the side space, keep out the weather, or merely to keep the plywood from warping?

The bees stopped bearding on the front of the hive but now I have bunches of earwigs and ants living in the inner cover. I didn't have those before a propped the top.

[size="1"][ June 08, 2006, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: wade ][/size]
    Time wounds all heals.

Hi Michael et al, we use an inner cover and galvanized metal covered outers. The outers are a bit larger wiht about a 2" overhang. The inside of one end is routed out so it is about 1/2" thick by 3" wide. Last year I took some 3/8" plywood cut it into 4 x 4s and then diagonally cut them. With a small nail they are now on the corners of these inners as shims. Oh by the way, the upper rear edges of the inners are also routed 3" for passage. It seems to work good for ventilation but the girls never used it as an entrance. I tease them and blow into the opening and the the soldiers "Buzz" loudly. Take care and have fun.

>Are the side boards in your top to deal with the side space, keep out the weather, or merely to keep the plywood from warping?

Thats the way I'd seen them so that's the way I made them. [img]smile.gif[/img] Now I'm making them the size of the box with no board, just the shims nailed onto the plywood. The wood cleats do help with warping and they help keep it from moving, shifting or blowing off. But if you set a board on straight and put a brick on it, by tomorrow it won't move anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]