I had one case of european foulbrood last year. It cleared up when I gave them a new queen, applied apistan strips, and culled all the brood comb. They were queenless and had mites. Thanks for any suggestions!

I think EFB is basically a stress realted disease. Meaning your bees probably had it because of the mites. If you can eliminate the stresses that cause it that is the best solution.

In the mean time, since you had it before, I would be tempted to use the terrimycin, but that's just me. I haven't used any in a long time. When I first started beekeeping I used it as a preventative. I stopped a long time ago, but keep a package around in case I think I need it.

The biggest risk is that it will spread to your other hives. But again, if they aren't stressed they probably won't get it.

You obviously don't like chemicals, so it's a hard choice.

Terrimyicin is an antibiotic. Like any, the more you use it, the less it becomes effective. I use it in the spring, when the bees are just getting going for the year. I sprinkle a mixture of that and sugar on the top bars. I have been told, using an extender patty is really wasting your money, because as it ages, so does the terimyicyn, and it becomes useless. Sprinkling it is a better dose anyway, and I don't use it in an extended timeframe.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Why feed it, unless your bees are sick? All you're doing is hiding any AFB which may be present, and encouraging resistance.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Thanks for the repllies everyone! I have decided to treat half of my hives with sugar syrup teramyacin and essential oil, and the other half with syrup and essential oil onlly. I will let you know how they fare. Have a great day!

Hi all,

I have sometime ago tossed the Terrimyicin in the trash. As it is not a cure the heck with it. There are other ways of handling disease without the dopes. You would probably be much farther a head pulling infected combs than with the tm. Stop using the tm and the diseases that were covered up will often reappear. Tm shortens the life of bees. Buy used equipment and NOT use tm where it has been used is often inviting trouble. I find it to be rather like a band aid that covers a wound, but doesn't allow it to heal in MPOV.

Clay

Good luck, Paul. I hope they all do well.

Traditionally, mild EFB cases in the UK have been treated with a one-off dose of TM; severe cases have been burnt. The problem has been that the disease often breaks out again subsequent to treatment. They've now started using shakedowns combined with TM, and this seems to work better. The main reason for using the TM is that the law requires it! Its worth thinking about; if the disease is in the brood and comb, get rid of it and keep the bees. It might save using chemicals.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

rawpaul

I would and have used USNEA in my syrup with good results. I agree great nutrition to great health. Give them the ability to fight it off and it will not appear.

Phillip

USNEA?

Wondering the same?

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

So many big words yet we know nothing.

http://www.wisetouch.com/usnea.html

From the capitalization I was expecting an acronym. I have never heard of this herb, probably partly because it does not grow where I live, and partly because it's not readily for sale anywhere. Traditionally we have used Echinacea purpurea and Ligusticum porteri (Bear Root) for the same basic purpose. However, I'm not sure if either works on bees or if it is useful against AFB or EFB. I believe the both Echinacea and Bear Root have more of an effect on our immune system than a direct effect on the bacteria. It would be interesting to find out.

P.S.
    Compared to what there is to know, we all know nothing.

Are Paenobacillus and Melissococcus gram-positive or negative? Usnea might help, but don't take it for granted; propolis is also a natural antibiotic, but it doesn't seem to inhibit them.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Yes they are both gram positive.
    http://www.oxoid.com/docs/biolog/GP-Database.doc has a list of many gram positive bacteria.