Question

How do you tie your veil on? I got the elastic round version from Mann Lake Ltd. I've got a fairly good idea of how to do it but would like to know the proper way to do it.

On tieing a veil position the tie cords from the veil down your back. Bring one cord each under each of your arm pits up to the plastic ring at the front of the veil, through the ring then each cord back around to your back, and then back around to your chest area and then tie it off. I wish I had a dollar for each time that I done this for the last 32 years!

I'd say getting your veil on right is a very SMART question. To not ask and get it wrong would be stupid.

My first stings of the year....

It was wonderful. LOL

Amazingly, I was stung on the face and didn't swell up this time.

I wonder if my body is getting used to being stung?

Either way, I'm thankful for those first stings of the year.

Life is Good.

I got stung in the neck the other night. A bee got in my veil while I was carrying a hive body on my shoulder down a ladder that was removed from the wall of a building. This was not a good place to get stung as it did not swell but was very sore for a couple days and is still tender. I know it would not been that bad if I could have removed the stinger right then. But going down a ladder in the dark carrying a hive is not the time to worry about a sting. I hope to get me a good bee suit for removals but other than that it will just hang in the closet. Another problem that night was my shirt came untucked and I got way to many stings on my belly with one being in my belly button. Hind site is 20/20. My thought that night was they will bee quiet on the combs since it was cool. I had the hive sitting on shelfing brackets. I closed the entrance and hefted it on my shoulder. I noticed several bees between the box and building. Theses bees were crawling all over me and where the stings came from.

I always try to avoid doing anything with them at night unless they are closed in.

You are right about the ladder. It's not the time to panic. And if you can't keep the panic down on a ladder you shouldn't do bee stuff on a ladder.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited April 14, 2004).]

I agree about the ladder. I am currently wearing a brace on both ankles from getting excited on the stairs with a bee in my ear. I had been doing well while waiting on my appointment with the Vetrans' Hospital. Funny I should fall just hours before getting my appointment slip in the mail. I guess I should have kept practicing my PLF's.

WayaCoyote