Thread: Nucs.

Your thoughts on nucs. Pros and cons. 3,4
    or 5 frame nucs, how do you maintain, how do you start up new nucs, uses of nucs, etc...
    Duane in VA.

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000496.html
    Is a discussion of what they are and what they are good for.
    http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000048.html
    Is a discussion of "baby" mating nucs.

I don't think 2, 3, 4 or five frame nucs are better. It depends on what you want to do with them. The whole idea is a smaller space that the bees have to maintain at the right temp and humidity. If you're using them for mating I would guess that 2 would be fine but some might like 3 better. If you're using them for splits 4 or 5 would be better. I make my own four frame deeps that are exactly half the width of a Lanstroth box so I can do deep frames as supers and still lift them. I just put two of them side by side. Also, if you are using medium frames for your brood chambers, the five looks better for a split than a smaller one because you've already lost some space with the shallower frames.

having a 2- frame nuc available comes in handy,even if it is for carrying around a couple spare frames.

Micheal, thanks for the info. I'm wanting a helper hive around for extra brood, extra queen, drawn comb, etc... I was just wondering if I should just use a single 10 frame deep or a 5 frame nuc for the helper hive. It looks like to me that you would really have to keep an eye on the 5 frame nuc
    because of population increase and limited space. Thanks, Duane in VA.

>I'm wanting a helper hive around for extra brood, extra queen, drawn comb, etc... I was just wondering if I should just use a single 10 frame deep or a 5 frame nuc for the helper hive.

If you just want it for general purposes maybe a 10 frame would be better. If you have a particular thing in mind it's easier to manipulate a 5 frame into doing what you want. For instance if you want then to draw small cell comb you can pretty much count on the middle frame being brood and therefore they will draw it to brood size.

>It looks like to me that you would really have to keep an eye on the 5 frame nuc
    because of population increase and limited space.

Absolutely. The population could explode to where they want to swarm in one day. One frame of brood emerges and the poulation is almost doubled.