Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My experience has been similar with HBH and homemade, but I use WAY less HBH than is suggested on the bottle. Maybe a tablesppon per 2 gallons of syrup. It does cut down dramatically on mold in the buckets and plastic is much better accepted when sprayed with it. I also mix in some poultry electrolytes, but only about 1/4 teaspoon per 2 gallons syrup, so it may not really matter. MB is right...fullstrength HBH encourages robbing big time.
    Buy locally, buy only humanely raised animals, eat in season, keep bees!

Thanks for the info and the thank you jeffrey.

Default Re: honey bee healthy?

Where do you buy the lecithin granules?

I get mine at a local herb store. GNC also carries them.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

After I posted that, I looked at nuitritiongeeks.com. They have it for $4.14 for 8 oz, $3.99 for 1 oz of Lemongrass oil and $4.99 for Spearmint oil. And, only about $3 shipping. I ordered it there. Thanks!

What Brent Bean said. I use it only in the spring for build up. I also use it in very dilute sugar water to spray on swarms so that they drop into the box easier.

I used to live in Texas and grew lemon grass in my herb garden. I do not believe it would be successful in Pa. Maybe as a short term annual. If anyone has had success growing LG in the Mid Atlantic Region I would be interested in how you did it as I now live in Virginia. I have never seen it sold in nurseries this far North. Susan

Question Re: honey bee healthy in 2:1 ?

Anybody have any experience using Honey-B-Healthy in a 2:1 Fall feeding?

Default Re: honey bee healthy in 2:1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by dni View Post
    Anybody have any experience using Honey-B-Healthy in a 2:1 Fall feeding?
    I have been using it, When Ever I need to feed.
    I believe a number of benifits !

Every one has their own opinions.
    Take all inter-net forum info. with a grain or two of salt !

PCM

I've also prepared and used the essential oil additive that is described in the recipe above and I agree, the bees DO love it.

My evidence for this is a hive of mine that was a little light at the beginning of fall. I began feeding it heavy syrup and they were taking it, but not real fast. Maybe a half-gallon jar in 5 or 6 days. I took the jar off, added 2 teaspoons of the mixture above, topped the jar off with new syrup and the bees sucked a half gallon dry in 2 days.

I've also used it as a spray and it DOES calm the bees FAST. But it's no good if you need to clear the bees from the top of the bars. They don't don't run down between the frames, as they do with smoke. Instead they just stop whatever there doing and lick it up. This can be a problem when your trying to put things together and not squash a bazillion bees.

Lastly, making your own is simple and WAY cheaper than buying it.

New? Application For HBH

Received a phone call a couple weeks back from Micheal Meyer in Missouri. He's a commercial operator and reported that some of the biggest of the commercial guys are enthusiastic about a new use for HBH. They call it 4X from the concentration used - that is four times the concentration of other uses. He said that bees will not take that concentration level from a feeder. So they literally pour it on.

A cup of 4X poured between the frames wets the adult bees with syrup. In the process of cleaning up themselves and their nestmates all ingest some of the HBH. They report that they have not seen colonies in such good condition in years.

I accept no responsibility for passing on this info. From my standpoint it's hearsay. But if true, it could be the "silver bullet" reported to be non-existent. It's certainly cheap enough. A pint of HBH at 22 bucks would treat about 100 colonies, or 22 cents a shot.

Neglected to ask if two brood chambers of bees needed a cup of 4X each. He did say that smaller units (nucs) needed less than a cupful to wet the bees. Mix 1 1/2 cup HBH to 5 gallons syrup or 1/3 cup to 1 gallon. Those numbers don't quite jive, but are close enough for government work. 4X may not be the magic dosage anyway. The magic dosage is still outstanding at this time. Several treatments for less than a buck is an attraction proposition.

My experience with essential oils does not qualify me to judge. When they were the rage of the day, added some wintergreen to my sugar/shortening mix. Bees dying in the grease mix bucket turned me off. Didn't think I needed to add some lethal material in the hives. My flirtation with essential oils was very brief. But that early opinion is open to review.

Will be on the road for nearly two weeks and out of touch to respond to any commentary. Have a few more details not provided in this heads up

Walt W

Here is another thread about making HBH.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ey+bee+healthy

I went to whole foods and they had the essential oils on the shelf. Look at your natural foods stores for the oils and save yourself the shipping.

With another active thread on HBH running, am reluctant to revive this one, but think an update appropriate to my last posting.

In my travels last month, met with Bob Noel at his home in Cumberland, MD. I should thank drobbins for the link to the '97 blurb that I hadn't seen. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to know about the essential oil thing. Had some pointed questions to ask those who knew the answers. Bob is the innovator and president of the company that produces the HBH product.

Several of the above posts are skeptical to negative. Nobody takes issue with the stuff being a feeding stimulant or encouraging robbing. To me both those features suggest the bee colony has a natural affinity for the EO scent. Bees are known to be Quite discriminating in their foraging. They select pollen sources with the most nourishment and nectar sources with the highest sugar content, and disregard lesser sources unless desparate.

Their natural affinity for EOs implies instinctive recognition of the beneficial effects provided by those scents. We don't know what those effects might be, but the bees are known to do a lot of their functions on "nose"
    power. (pheromones) We can't even guess how sensitive their sense of smell really is or how they perceive the tiniest source in a group of stronger sources.

Strayed from the subject. Point is: Do you skeptics have an answer for why the EOs might be an attractant with no colony benefit? It seems to me that the colony is pretty savvy, instinctively, on what's best for them.

Will plug in a few more tidbits as time permits on what was learned by going undercover in their midst.

Walt W

To continue, a little history/geography:
    Jim Amrine in West Virginia said that huge colony losses rolled across WV in a wave through '93 and '94. In '95, the wave reached Bob Noel in Cumberland MD. Bob was a sideliner with about 100 colonies. The thin slice that is Western MD wraps around northeast WV.

One of the first questions I asked Bob was what prompted him to get off on the abstract tangent of essential oils. He was quick to give his sister, Marlene credit for pointing him in that direction. In nursing school, an instructor had extoled the virtues of EOs in the natural world. She gave him no help in how he might apply that tidbit.

What the heck. He was desparate. With dead and dying colonies, and no other options, what did he have to lose? He put some wintergreen in s/w and fed his sickly colonies. Surprise!! The sickly started to recover and he saw more dead V mites on bottom boards.

Thinking he had something of interest for the beekeeping professionals, Bob prepared a letter and sent it to multiple academic entities. Only Amrine at WV showed any interest. He traveled the 1 and a half hour road time about once a week to monitor progress, and was impressed with results.

Enough for now,
    Walt

Micheal is this a unconsecrated mix that should be fed as is or is there a different recipe for concentrate to mix with syrup like in a 300 gal tote.

I have made a batch of the honey b healthy recipie. It was easy but doesn't smell like the commercial material and is not as dense. One question, I already have some peperment oil can I add that to the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Bee'n. View Post
    Micheal is this a unconsecrated mix that should be fed as is or is there a different recipe for concentrate to mix with syrup like in a 300 gal tote.
    I'm also interested in the mixture that Michael quoted. Is this the concentrate to use as the directions on the HBH product bottle?

Some of you say that you use this as a spray when inspecting your hives rather that smoke? What is the recipe (amounts?) you use for the spray? Thank you in advance.

A question, I have a bottle of peperment oil. Can that be added to the honey b healthy recipie?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12