Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

i was wondering if anyone has used honey bee healthy or products like that, or if you have personal recipes that you use. also what results you've had using it?
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I have used it with another beekeeper who keeps a spray bottle handy to calm the bees down while working the hive. It does work in that capacity. I also know several who feed it to the bees mixed with syrup. I know what the claims suggest in the marketing. But I always take most of that with a grain of salt.

My personal thought is that its just one more thing to spend money on.

Use it, like it...mix it with sugar water...bees love it.

I heard it can spark robbing behavior often.

I have some around for spraying on plastic to get it accepted but I don't regularly use it. It does seem to contribute to robbing. Here's a recipe that was posted before by Clint:

“Honey Bee Healthy” Recipe
    5 cups water
    2 1/2 pounds of sugar
    15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
    1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules
    You have to dissolve the granules in very hot (almost boiling) water and let it cool prior to incorporating the oils into the mixture. The lecithin is an emulsifier and helps disperse the oils in the water mixture. This is the standard recipe according to a website article I read about using essential oils, and these are the two oils used in the HBH. I use less of the oils than the recipe calls for since I am feeding fairly heavily at this time, but for a spring or fall treatment, I will follow these measurements.
    Essential Oils:

LorAnn Oils
    4518 Aurelius Road
    P.O. Box 22009
    Lansing, Michigan 48909
    (517) 882-0215
    or toll free
    1-800 248-1302
    or by fax
    (517) 882-0507
    The last I purchased was Spearmint oil 1 ounce for $3.99
    Be sure to mention that you are a Beekeeper to get the cheaper prices.
    They seem to have it all in stock and a lot of great info on the oils used for beekeeping"--Clint
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks MB. Gotta be cheaper than the stuff in bee mags.

here's a pretty good source for essential oils at reasonable prices

http://www.wildroots.com/index.php

the search thing in the upper right finds what you're after

Dave

Thanks MB...... sounds cool and cheap.

I made some of the recepie that MB posted. The bees loved it. I mixed with syrup for spring feeding. Check out some of the results.

http://groups.msn.com/SIBeekeepers/s...hoto&PhotoID=4
    http://groups.msn.com/SIBeekeepers/s...hoto&PhotoID=5
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

When people say they love it, how does one know. Mine seem absolutely thrilled with sugar syrup with nothing added.

Is there any studies or testimonials with such mixtures for better health benefits(to the bees of course)? Thank you.

I am actually surprised at how many use such things. On one hand, its natural comb this, and natural that. And then to hear they add oils and other things to the hive, just seems unnatural to me.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

BjornBee, I used HBH one season the bees took it well enough. I was using it for the claim they had at the time for hive health and mites.
    I have since been using wintergreen and spearmint oils for mites and found that they have help manage them.

MountainCamp, is that the ingredients in HBH? What your using now?

MBush
    <It does seem to contribute to robbing>
    <I heard it can spark robbing behavior often.>

It sure does.
    If you have weak hives/split they can be robbed to death.
    I lost two splits and all their stores last fall because they were fed a similar mix just after the fall flow stopped and they were robbed dead dead dead.

I have found that the lemongrass element seems to be the leading cause of the robbing. I have had better results with leaving out the lemongrass oil, as it seems to be the spearmint that acts as the preservative. I have had good luck with Michael's suggestion of mixing the oils in honey first, and then adding them to the sugar mix.

One may also consider a little soy flour in the mix to boost brood and royal jelly quality (and thus better queens).

Most of the time sugar syrup "spoils" because of handling issues, like not cleaning the holding container. It would be advisable, but not always practical, to clean the feeding container (jar/bucket/etc) between each refill and handle the containers and the syrups with clean hands and keep handling to a minimal. Also try to mix your syrups just before you need them, HBH will not clean-up moldy syrups. If you do have to allow your syrups to sit, keep them cool (refridgerate) or in well lighted areas (mold grows spores in the dark).

I do have to say that syrup take up is better with spearmint added, then again I think any "odor" component adds a tracer back to the feed source.

I would also recommend that anyone that uses HBH (or the like) in inverted buckets, jars, etc. carry an additional 5 gallon bucket inwhich to invert these. ANY amount of spillage will create a frenzy. Guess I learned the hardway, but at least none of you reading this should have to experience the same failure.

Feed on...

Jeff
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat, that's of course if you're into eating cats.

I think that HBH has lemon grass & spearmint oils.
    I started reading about oils because of the HBH and the claims.
    However, I mainly use spearmint & wintergreen oils. I have some lemon grass that I use when hiving swarms and packages.
    I also use a little lemon grass in a very light sugar spray when woring hives vs. smoking.

not sure if you guy's have seen this before

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa.htm

Dave

I would like to use the mixture instead of smoke. Is the above recipe from "Clint" good to use instead of smoke or too thick with sugar??? Would a spray instead of smoke promote robbing in my area in the summer or fall. Or main flow is over early- I understand usually late May.
    sc-bee

Dave, That is one of the sources that I used when switching to HBH & oils in 1999. HBH used to link to that site at the time. I have read a number of papers from Europe on oils as well.

SC-bee, I use a very light syrup with a few drops of oil instead of smoke most of the time. I use either lemon grass, spearmint, or wintergreen oil in the spray. They all seem to work fine. The sugar spray gives them something to take their minds off of what you are doing, the oils scent masks any alarm scent, and the oil vapor may also help with mites as well.

Does anyone grow or extract lemongrass? Is this something people do?

Bjornbee,

Yes, my wife and I grow lemongrass in our garden. It is used in Asian cooking a lot. It looks a lot like JOhnson grass and is very easy to grow - requires almost no care. The root is the part of the plant that is used primarily. If you smell the leaves they smell just like fresh lemons. You ought to be able to get it at your local nursery or Lowe's.
    And thanks for your advice to my other posts.

Jeffrey
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

I use Honey-Bee-Healthy and have tested if the bees will consume it over regular sugar syrup, and they defiantly do. One very good side effect is the sugar syrup will not spoil or mold, I have had buckets that have set around from spring to fall with a little syrup, the ones with HBH are still fresh the ones without are a disgusting mess.
    I use the same recipe that Michael Bush listed you can make gallons for the price of one bottle of the store bought brand.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.