Cool

My husband googling around at work found this for me:

Build Your Own Honey Extractor
    by Authors: Editors of Garden Way Publishing
    Released: 06 January, 1983
    ISBN: 0882663151
    Paperback

He'd prefer I spend as little as possible on my bees

But really is it possible for a regular person to build one? Or does it take welding skills etc?

Thanks,
    Martha
    Martha

If you are real handy you can build one. How large an extractor are you looking at building?

http://beesource.com/plans/extractor_4.htm

http://beesource.com/plans/extractor_20.htm

Cool

Thanks for the links. I don't think I can build and my hubby is NOT an handyman by any means.

I might have a friend who could build the 4 framer for me. I bet he could put the drain on the side too - instead of the bottom.

What would be the best or easiest container to get for this?

Thanks!
    Martha
    Martha

Tew can pick up 2-4 frame hand cranks for $5-$20.00.Why evan try to make one.
    B. roger eagles

Roger........ Where the heck can you get them for less than $20.00?? I'll take 10 at that price.

I've seen hand crankers go from $100 to $200 used on ebay.

I bought that very book (more like a big worksheet but ok) mentioned by the original poster and built the extractor by hand in a weekend. It was not too tough and didn't take too many crazy building skills (though it always helps to be handy). The extractor was easier to build than the one on beesource I think but that is just from looking at the plans on beesource. I never tried to build it. Anyhow, you will come out of it all with a serviceable extractor though, of course, it is not nearly s nice as one you might buy from a bee suplpy house. Still, it will allow you to extract the honey from your frames. I think I built it for not too much more than the cost of the new trashcan. I was a little creative with the plans so was able to save a few bucks. Give it a shot I'd say!

They sell the odd one here at farm autions.A guy on king just gave me one here 2 months ago.I'm just giving it to a heck of a fine feller in tenn. fer the freight.They just pop up at sales from old retired imagrents and they are practicly giving them away.Got 4 givin to me in last 2 years.I kept one for weak frames.Some donut gave me some frames,they were tied with fishing string.Go figger huh.Dem farmers.Martha,dya want me ta find ya one if I kin. Reply to my net top letter.I can't get 10 right away but might know of 2 more.
    B. roger eagles

I got rid of a 4 frame and regret it. Nice to have a small one around that is for sure.

Roger....I will take one if you find an extra!

In the mean time I will look for that book y'all wer talkin bout up yonder ways and se If I cant git one built for fall! LOL!
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

Leave me with it.I'll check .Leave me yer e-mail sos I kin relate.Poor computer oprater. I think I got one lined up but its not the switch type.4 framer,and yew have to take them out to do other side.
    B. roger eagles

If you DO build an extractor, where do you go to buy a drum of the proper size?

A cooking pot is too short, and a metal garbage can is too tall.

A metal trash can works fine. When you build it, you will make a basket which is what holds the frames. The basket has to be of the right size but the can in which you spin the basket can be of about any size so long as it is bigger than the basket. You need to account for some sort of flange with a bearing of some type at the bottom of the basket and also a shaft to which you attach you crank arm at the top. All in all, a metal trashcan works pretty well for size.

OK. Thanks.

I have the basket and rotating arm already, it is just the rest that is missing.

The gent I bought the used hive boxes from threw in the extractor parts for free.