twind59 Guest

Question

Does anyone know of a source for midwestern pollinization? I'm trying to learn things like: when to place the bee's relative to the bloom and what crops bloom first, last, and in between. Just a novice doing a feasability study. Thanks!

twind59 Guest

Sorry...I meant to ask for midwest pollinization "information". sheesh.

I REMEMBER ONE TIME I LOOKED THIS UP ON THE INTERNET I THINK I KEYED IN POLLINATION SERVICES ON THE WEB LINK SPACE AND CAME UP WITH GOOD BIT OF INFO.

Good question. Some ideas here. There is a report from 2000 regarding Value of Honey Bees as Pollinators for US Crops, from Cornell University/Roger Morse. I think it is available online from ABJ or Bee CUlture. Then read your texts for more of the science. If I recall correctly Dewey Carons college book has good info as well as the Hive and the HoneyBee. Then the grower will have his/her own perceptions.

If I recall correctly, the best idea is to bring the bees to the crop as bloom is starting. This keeps them from searching and finding another source. Then the hive can come out of there as bloom ends. This would not be unique to the midwest.

Try to talk with a pollinator around you.

Here's a link to an online version of a book by S.E. McGregor of the USDA. It's "Insect Pollination of Cultivated Crop Plants" and is provided by BeeCulture. http://www.beeculture.com/beeculture/book/
    I think it's a good resource although you might search your states agriculture sites for phenology of your states plants (i.e. what blooms when). Your conditions may be similar to Ohio and they maintain a bloom time by Growing Degree Day (GDD) and relate it to your zip code. http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/gdd/ You may come close by entering an Ohio zip close to the Indiana border. I don't think they have it set up to work with non-Ohio zip codes but I'm not sure. It's not an all encompassing plant list, but it's pretty good and also contains some information on egg hatches of problematic tree and plant insects. Hope this helps.

twind59 Guest

Lightbulb

Jim, Thanks for the information. The site doesn't work with Indiana zip codes, so I'll use a nearby Ohio Zip. Again...thanks.
    Barry