I am planning to expand to keep a few colonies off of my property. What is proper to offer for rent. Money, honey, both? How much?

Usually you offer nothing and give some honey at the end of the season.

Offering rent only opens a door. The landowner reaps great rewards from your bees for the most part.

If rent is paid, it is usually the landowner that pays it.

I agree. I have 3 outyards and I usually offer 10lbs of honey for the season. I also make it clear that it's entirely possible that there won't be any honey during the year. If someone insisted I pay for the privilege of putting bees on their property I'd move them the same day.

--------------
    Mike
    If you're not confused you just don't know what's going on.

Someone once told me that 2lbs/hive is what they have always done. Sounds reasonable to me. I've got some farmers that plant only corn/soybeans. They don't get any pollination benefits at the locations they have offered me to place bees. Great spots they are with water, afternoon shade, access lanes, secluded, and forage.

I wouldn't mind offering them 1 or 2lbs/hive.

On a side note for you hunters out there....I trade honey for some hunting spots so keep that in mind when looking for a new hunting place.

[size="1"][ April 20, 2006, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Dan Williamson ][/size]
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

The problem is that some years (in a bad drought or bad timing) you don't make any honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

We usually pay half of the production from 1 hive. This is for yards that we keep anywere from 32 to 160 hives. We have to pay more for some (stockpiles) and some we don't pay at all. You just have to use your own judgement and don't be stingy. A lot of people don't like millions of bees around thier place. I don't understand it either?

i usually give them a 70 pound pail of honey them a couple jars of fireweed, this keeps them happy and quit often they like having your bees there anyway. at one yard i mention about redoing the fence around the yard. i bought the supplies and had it setting in the yard then one day i go back to see this beautifully built fence complete with gate that i can drive my truck into. some people are just awsome, very nice.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Hi there. I usually give honey for my yard rent. Around 30 lbs. a year will do the trick. Also when I am searching for new yards I have some bears with me to hand out.
    Columbia City, Indiana

--What is proper to offer for rent. Money, honey, both? How much?

I'd never lock myself into an agreement that is not flexible enough to account for bad years and fluctuation in colony numbers. Pollination is generally payment enough for most people, but I find that when I tell them to "let me know when you need some honey come harvest time" results in far less rent being paid. This allows me the flexibility of giving a bit more or a bit less depending on what the season dictates.

Landowners that are understanding and flexible are the ones I prefer, the others that insist on rigid contracts, quotas and fees I avoid. I find that I usually have to force the landowners to take the honey, which amounts to maybe about 4 to 8 pounds per year at most per location. They just like having bees on their property, and these are the people I seek out. In fact, I make it a point to NEVER mention anything about payments, rent, or free honey when I ask a landowner if they wish bees on their property. Then I know how the landowner feels in his heart about having bees, and that they are good understanding people or not. Only after being welcomed to place bees there do I offer up some honey.

The owner of my to date one outyard gets a free sampler pac of honey, HoneyStix, Honey mustard, vanilla and hot sauce from Mexico, and herbs and vegetables from my gardens. I usually drop some kind of gift pack by each month or two I make the trip to Pearl River from Baton Rouge. Money never came up nor would I suggest it. I think most landowners in agreement would be happy with honey and stuff.

Actually I am going to skip gallberry honey and get all my yards in East Baton Rouge Parish due to the rising price of crude and gas, which will likely go even higher after the first mega hurricane that strikes the Gulf Coast (hopefully not Louisiana) this June 1 season. Perhaps just run the hives for the gallberry flow them move the 6 hives closer to home.

The landowner never requested any type of rent payment for me running hives on their property.

You could also build up free pollination if the landowner has fruit and vegetable gardens/crops in the vicinity.
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

Yard rent? The places I have bees are glad to get them. I have offers quite often of places to put my bees. An orchard where I have bees sells honey for me, I get the full retail price. The same thing for a melon farm, and they sell lots of honey for me and even give me a melon once in a while.
    John
    Married 23 years and still makin honey. www.Johnshoney.com
    John, WA9WJG