Thread: Pollen Cleaning

Hybrid View

I need some good ideas on how to clean pollen. I was fidling in my head with the idea of using hardware cloth. Any suggestions or coments would be apprieciated.

Cleaning pollen is not hard. Hardware cloth can indeed be used for cleaning small amounts with a hand held homemade cleaner.

You can take a shallow super and staple gun 7 mesh hardware cloth to the bottom. Then you sift the pollen granules thru it, keeping the dead bees and larger debre out.

If you want to then sift out the dust, you then do the same thing only using 8 mesh wire or even window screening. Then you sift the dust thru it and keep the pollen granules contained in the sifting tray, which you then put into zip lock freezer baggies and freeze.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby

Wink

You can also fight the problem in advance by using special pollen traps that collects the pollen when the bees fly inside the hive but use a different exit when they fly out ,so the debris and other garbage do not fall in the pollencollector.They usually clean the hive when they fly out but are quite garbage free when they fly inbound. so, this might be a alternative solution. But you need this kind of traps as well....

regards

Walter

Hi Dee,

What do you do as a commercial beekeeper to clean your pollen?

Clay