Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile

John Seets:
    Thanks for the info. I find all of George Imirie's Pink Pages to be very interesting. Do you have a link for the one(s) you have made reference to?

I agree that the 1992 H & HB IS a GREAT book about bees. I quote from page 1118, "Colonies can be treated with menthol when there is no heavy nectar flow [Why? field bees not in hive?] and daytime temperatures are expected to reach at least 60* F."

"Menthol placed on the top bars is the prefered method of treatment provided the daytime temperature does not exceed 80 degrees F. During hot weather, the menthol should be placed on the bottom board of the colony."

Do you think the info from Mr Imirie is an update/revision to the PUBLISHED method of treatment?

It seems to me that the method of soaking towels in a mixture of oil and menthol aids a little in the temperature problem. The bees come in close contact with the menthol as they chew up the towel and remove it. Seems like they might breathe a little in that process! Thus, using it in later fall, if not actual winter, seems like a good idea. I did.

Dickm

Mr Seets,

As an engineer, I appreciate the scientific approach and I am sorry you are suffering from strokes. I think reaching out to this group is good for us AND you. I also appreciate the fact that you also live in Maryland and can give a Md point of view.
    I am a new beekeeper in Southern Md and I did have some questions regarding the menthol.

Right now I have a 5X7 piece of cardboard covered with crisco. I opened my menthol pack and pushed the crystals into the grease.
    I have it placed on top of my supers.

Now if Menthol sublimes at 84.5 F, its not doing anything is it? So why do I have it in my hive for the WINTER? I can understand the grease patties, but not the menthol given your logic.

So the conclusion is no Menthol over the winter but use grease patties??

Thanks

Actually as Mr. Seets says, he is quoting George Imirie who is a master beekeeper and has a lot of advice to offer. Most of which I agree with
    http://www.beekeeper.org

Greetings . . .

Here is some info from George Imire's Pink Pages:

"Menthol goes from solid to gas at 85oF. MUST BE USED IN WARM WEATHER. Menthol can
    NOT be used with honey supers. Place a 1.8 oz (50 grams or 1/3 cup) bag of Mite-A-Thol menthol on the tops of the frames of the lowest brood chamber on August 15, leave bag and remove in spring. Daytime temperatures must hit 85oF for several days after menthol is installed." [http://www.beekeeper.org/disease.html]

John Seets, thanks for the tip!

Greetings . . .

Here is some info from George Imire's Pink Pages:

"Menthol goes from solid to gas at 85oF. MUST BE USED IN WARM WEATHER. Menthol can
    NOT be used with honey supers. Place a 1.8 oz (50 grams or 1/3 cup) bag of Mite-A-Thol menthol on the tops of the frames of the lowest brood chamber on August 15, leave bag and remove in spring. Daytime temperatures must hit 85oF for several days after menthol is installed." [http://www.beekeeper.org/disease.html]

John Seets, thanks for the tip!

Cool

ZeeBee;

Mike is correct. I haven't had any strokes (yet - knock on a hive body), I was quoting George.

To answer your question: No, there is no reason to have menthol in the hive during the winter. Its use below 84 degrees is pointless. Grease patties - yes. Add some spearmint oil to the grease.

Thanx.

John