Wink

Added undrawn supers to three hives 2 weeks ago,opened these hives yesterday and found the queens were laying in the supers.Could this just be a case of the queens still being small from winter or could they have two queens in these hives,one above the excluder and one below?
    This early in the year I'm not too worried about the brood in the honey super but later in the year I hope to have this figured out and fixed.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

Are you feeding? Maybe the brood nest got clogged up with syrup and they couldn't find anywhere to lay.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Could have been but then again how could she get through the excluder?And yes I feed for 2 weeks but that was mid Feburary,and only for two weeks.
    Either case I have now made Splits from all three into 5 frame Nuks.Where I replaced the drawn frames with undrawn plastic in the parent hives and placed the drawn frames in the nuks..Now only if I can keep the larger hives from robbing the nuks I'll have it made..Yes I'm using robber screens on the nuks but not sure that will help either.May just too early with not enough nector.
    Thoughts?
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

&gt;how could she get through the excluder?

I think any queen CAN get through the excluder, they just usually don't. A skinny queen (like one slimmed down for winter and laying less) can get through more easily and one smoked heavily will often get through and then get stuck above it.

&gt;Yes I'm using robber screens on the nuks but not sure that will help either.May just too early with not enough nector.
    Thoughts?

I would think it would NOT be too early for splits in Alabama, but then I've never kept bees there. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF