Thread: MDA nuc boxes

Hybrid View

Hi all,

Looking for source of MDA nuc boxes other than Dadant or similar for nuc sales. How do these hold up for those that have used them (weather, handling)? They seem to be a good way to go, cheap, grab and go. No frame exchange or anything to return. Comments from those that have used them? Are they well ventilated? Thanks.

Clay

http://hermes.spaceports.com/~mdabees/page4.html is MDA's website and you can buy from them direct. They have both the plastic and the untreated cardboard. I have not bought them, but was thinking about it. I bought some that may have been made by them from Mann Lake. They were a corragated plastic and had vents that came with them. They were nice and were well ventilated.

I'm not sure about your comment on frames. There are none with the nuc.

Clinton,
    The original MDA splitter boxes are or were made here in Michigan in Wyoming. I dont think the orginals were waxed per my conversation with Mel the owner. He does have an extruded plastic box, but not at the price of the corrugated ones. For the price, I dont think you can beat Dadants. He has a website, can't remember the exact URL, but if you type MDA splitter boxes in your search engine you will find it.

Bill
    Just to the north of you.

The ones I got from Mann Lake are more expensive than the plastic MDA splitters. The Mann Lake ones have wire handles and more vents. The MDA splitters have better frame spacing and supports and are cheaper. The plastic Mann Lake ones come to about $19.95 unless you buy 200 or more, and the plastic MDA ones are $14.00 for quantities as low as 10 and $11 for quantities as high as 125. The cardboard ones are only $2.75 for quantities as high as 125.
    http://hermes.spaceports.com/~mdabees/tandt.html

I have his latest pricing. 10 @ $4.00
    25 @ $3.50
    125 up @$3.00

Plus Shipping

I got some of the MDA boxes. Both the cardboard and the plastic. You could put your nucs in the plastic ones until you sell them and then put them in the cardboard ones. For the money though, I think you want the wax coated ones from Dadant for the weatherproof ones, and the cardboard untreated ones for selling them. Or charge a little more for the treated ones.

I like the MDA boxes better than the ones from Mann Lake and the ones from Brushy Mt. (same kind) because five frames fits betters, stays in place better. I do like the door and the vents and the handle on the Mann Lake style one though, but not enough to buy any more of them.

I think I'll dip some of the cardboard ones in Beeswax for bait hives to give them that "homey" smell.

Thanks Micheal for the updated info. How big a job to wax them? Or other waterproofing?

Clay

I haven't waxed the plain ones yet. I was going to do that when I was set up to wax PermaComb, which I should be getting soon.

I bought the ones from Dadant, which got here last night, that are already waxed and I think they are the best for the money of any of the ones I've seen. They come with a screen wire for ventilation too.

>I haven't waxed the plain ones yet. I was going to do that when I was set up to wax PermaComb, which I should be getting soon.

I know you already had some PC, did you order more? How many are you getting?
    I have 200 so far, that should hold me for this year.
    Bill

I just ordered 500 PermaComb. That will get me started, but if all goes well, I will need more before the year is out.