I was wondering how ya all shipped nucs. Granting I ship them in a Cardboard nuc and that it is ok to ship comb to the state that I am shipping to and that I get the ok from the post office.....

anyone ever do it?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Can't help you. I'm planning an 1100 mile trip in April to BushFarms to pick up a couple of very valuable queens. He's putting them into two frame nucs for transport. I don't trust the shipping and if I transport, then I know how they were treated.

I seriously believe looking at the condition of some shipping containers that some juvenile postal employee hates bees and thought it was safe to get some revenge. These packages were kicked around intentionally.

Let us know what you figure and how it works.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

Even if I could, I would not. It would only take me one time to rip someone's head off at the post office. I'll save myself the torture.

I've never had any trouble selling all the nucs I've had for pickup, so I have never pursued it. I was trying to figure it out and could not get a straight answer from UPS. I could never find any details from the USPS on it either.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Chef, I've had numerous requests to ship nucs this year. The overiding opinion is the post office really does not like shipping any live packages including chickens, bees and the like.

I found the post office hoops are pretty minor and if you visit USPS.com you can quickly answer all your questions there. It still remains I've heard numerous horror stories about queens shipped both UPS and USPS as well as package problems USPS. I have had difficulties and success with both items. Everything will come down to the responsibility of the postal person at any stage of the transport and how well your nucs are packaged.

If you are only selling a couple dozen and can't sell them locally I would work harder on my marketing as opposed to working at shipping. Just my opinion.