Thread: what now

Hi I feel like the car chasing dog that catches one What do I do with it now?
    I got a call sat am about a swarm of bees. When I went there I found a honey bee nest hanging from some scrob trees in a hedge row. It was the size of a watermelon and about six feet above the ground. Being up state N.Y. I figured they wouldn,t last the winter like that. So I cut it down and placed it in a hive, two large supers with two frames on each side to hold it steady. I put a loaded hive feeder on top, the hive seemed a little lite. so the big question is what do I do in the spring if they survive Thanks Dan

You get some empty frames and another deep box and some rubber bands and two five gallon buckets and a bee suit with a zip on veil. Wear the suit, you will get them mad by the time you are done. Try not to though. You smoke it really heavy, carefully take out a comb at a time and sort. You'll be gently breaking or cutting or whatever seems to work to get it out. If it's just honey, brush off the bees (into the new box) and throw the comb into one of the five gallon buckets, keeping the lid on it. If it's empty wax throw it into the other 5 gallon bucket. If it had brood in it cut it to fit one of the frames. There will be space on the ends etc, but the closer it fits the better. Then you put rubber bands around the frame to keep the comb from falling out. Make sure it's right side up. (the position it was when the bees made it). Put the frames with the brood into the other box. Keep this up until you have gone through all of the frames. If you can spot the queen, brush her off into the new box too. When you have taken all of the comb out of the old hive, brush the rest of the bees out of and off of the box into the new one. After the brood hatches, you can pull those frames out and replace with full foundation or just frames with starter strips or whatever you usually use.

If you want to do some work this winter and intend to do this kind of thing more often there are plans from Dee Ludsby as "removable swarm catching frames". Personally I just use regular frames and rubber bands. You can use string, but it's hard to tie when you're wearing gloves. If the hive is really strong in the spring you may want a bee vac, but I've done this sort of things lots of times without one.