Thread: smoke and YJs

Does smoking work on yellowjackets? Since they don't have the honey stores to gorge on etc?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Never tried it on YJ's. But you can if you want, and as always, let us know if it works.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Absolutely Ben, go for it! I'm dying to find out what happens and I'm right behind you.... as far behind you as I can get [img]smile.gif[/img]

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Ben, I would use tobacco in my smoker, the nicotine would knock em on there arses. Even better is the smoke (some call it fog) that comes out of those ortho cans! And I'm behind you too, well actually behind George, behind you!

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. They can't fly very well, if at all, when they are wet. Soak them good and do what you want with them. If you want to kill them add soap to the water. If you don't mind oil (depending on where they are) you can use FGMO in a spray bottle to render them flightless.

I wouldn't count on smoke helping any.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Recently the YJs have been everywhere, including under one of my hives. When working the bees I elected to smoke the heck out of the YJ nest. It seemed to help. A few days later, the YJ's were gone, presumably killed by the hive.

On the soap front, how much soap in how much water does it take for killing YJs (or bees for that matter)?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I recently took out a yj nest in my woodpile. I was suited up and running out of wasp spray, so I smoked them good. They didn't seem to be too aggressive, but I did smoke them like crazy to the point of shooting sparks in their cavity. I was able to get in and crush the nest and destroy the whole area. I even found the queen. I don't know if they have exclusive queens or how their biology works but she was quite large and couldn't fly.

I don't know if the honeybees attract them, but I've found 3 nest in my yard, more than ever before...

I have found that gasoline works well on YJ's. Wait until dark and gas them up, puts and end to their existance. Guess you could use a commercial spray also. Be careful messing with them, they have more than one entrance to their "hive" and will come out the back door for you if you should block the front.

If you use the gas, DON"T LIGHT IT. The fumes will kill the whole nest if you just pour it in and walk away. If you light it, the gas will just burn off and leave you with a nest full of live, teed-off yj's.

>I have found that gasoline works well on YJ's.

I hope you followed the pesticide label on the gasoline.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If there in a wood pile just light the entire pile and the smoke will surely make them docile.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.