Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't carry an epipen nor do I know of anyone who does.

I'm not a doctor, but what I read about those pens is that they carry their own danger. They have to be used only as a last resort by someone that's truly alergic, not the bulk of as us that have local alergic reactions. Truly alergic people could die from a single bee sting so whatever side effects or dangers associated with the use of the pens are peanuts compared to the danger of not using it... only if you are truly alergic.
    I hope this info is, at least, mostly accurrate.
    Alejandro

------------------

The first two summers, I carried an epi-pen faithfully. Now, I don't know where it is. I probably should get it refilled, but its on the "one of these days list". I have yet to have one of my hives go psyco on me, so I am probably being careless. Right now, I'm more concerned about the Jacob's Sheep ram that is in the pasture outside my bee yard. The guy I get my bees from carries one faithfully, (got this from his wife) and is also taking claritin on a daily basis. He has had a strong reaction to a couple of stings.
    Bottom line, they are a good idea, but then so are seat belts, and bike helmets and air bags and all those other safety devices we chafe against. Personal choice.
    I should add, the directions with the epi-pen were very clear, it is only for an "omigod I can't breathe, I think I'm gonna die, my heart is pounding it's gonna explode" type of reaction, and then it is only a stop-gap to buy you time to get to the emergency room.
    I took allergy shots for years, (for other allergies) and while I had some reactions occasionally, never anything to that degree, but some that hinted at the sensation.

[This message has been edited by ChellesBees (edited July 09, 2003).]

I don't carry an epi-pen with me, but I do have one in the house. I actually know where it is too! After a particularly bad reaction and not really being able to use my arm for two days I decided to carry benedryl tablets(chewable) with me to the bee yard. It might be a good idea for me to carry the pen too.
    D.

One of the major reasons that stings seem to be more severe after taking ibuprofin, is that, if I'm not mistaken, the drug dialates your blood vessels, allowing more blood flow. This would cause the venom to spread farther that it normally would and cause a worse reaction. A similar effect would also be produced if you had a fair amount of alcohol in your system, as it thins the blood.

Asprin also thins your blood but I haven't heard of it increasing a reaction to a sting. I always use it for a poltice on a sting.

From some advice on this site I picked up some liquid benadryl (Made for children.) The advice was that this gets into the bloodstream faster. We all know benadryl or another antihystamine helps, don't we?

Dickm

Denise-ky,
    how far is your bee-yard from house where your epi-pen is? My understanding is that with a strong anaphlaxic reaction, you maybe have 5 minutes max to use the pen before unconciousness sets it. My yards are 2 miles away, so I kept the pen right with my bee tools. Kind of a pain, should be kept cool, etc. Some put it in their lunch box. If there is a concern, keeping it with you would definitly be the wisest thing.

Denise-ky,
    how far is your bee-yard from house where your epi-pen is? My understanding is that with a strong anaphlaxic reaction, you maybe have 5 minutes max to use the pen before unconciousness sets it. My yards are 2 miles away, so I kept the pen right with my bee tools. Kind of a pain, should be kept cool, etc. Some put it in their lunch box. If there is a concern, keeping it with you would definitly be the wisest thing.