Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i saw a post on one of the forums about ibuprofen/advil, causing an increased reaction to stings,i've found that to be true.does anybody know where to find some info on this?

?ibuprofen? Does that mean that I can start taking tylenol again?

As someone who suffers with chronic back problems, it would be good to know if there are any medications that would either increase ot decrease reactions to stings. It seems that I am getting a lot more this year than in years past.

I was struggling with a honey bound deep a couple of weeks ago and was nearly unable to get out of bed the next day.

Thank God for better chemistry...
    Bill

I've tried Advil, aspirin, and benadryl for sting reactions. The only time I took the Advil, it did not seem to help at all, in fact, it seemed like it took several days for the swelling and pain to subside. The best treatment for me seems to be a couple of aspirin and a benadryl. The aspirin as an anti-inflamatory, and the benadryl to stop any potential allergic-type reaction.

Hmmm..........I don't think I've even taken anything for a sting. Started with bees when I was 9 yrs old and Ma would put baking soda on a sting. Other than that never used anything. But with many today whom use meds for everything, I think I shall have to investigate this further. So if anyone has good info on meds and stings I'd like to see it. Will check the link out above.

Clay

Thank's beegee: for the above link,I'm like Clay been stung alot.use to swell some,But don't do that any more.My son has had 2 reaction's this summer.He's had bee's for around 10 yr's now( around 35-40 hive's) & has a side line job of removing bee's from house's.Never no problem before,but this last time the Dr's think he may of had a heart attack.they want know for sure until they run test.so I guess you never know how they can affect you.>>>>>>Mark

I use asprin for stings. I bite it and put it on the sting as a poltice. Works almost as good as a tobacco poltice.

That explains my reaction to a sting last year. I was using Advil each day last summer for a backache . I had been stung a few times prior to starting Advil and then I swelled up really bad after using Advil. Actually, I had two reactions that worried me enough to get an epipen just in case. I never made the connection to the Advil. Well, this year, since being unemployed, I am using a cheap over the counter aspirin for the back ache. I haven't had any reaction this year to stings.... Whew.. I thought I was having trouble tolerating the stings and here it could be the Advil. Thanks for this posting...

I hadn't heard this before another posting on here a while back. I don't usually take anything, but when it do it's usually asprin.

i had the same experience as TA,i have a very good immunity to the venom, but had a painful swollen forarm for a day a few weeks back,i had taken some ibuprofen for back pain that morning. i never put it together until i saw that post.i'll stick with aspirin now.

in case anyone doesn't know,ibuprofen,advil and motrin are the same thing.

>Does that mean that I can start taking tylenol again?

For my back, not stings.
    Bill

tylenol wasn't listed as a drug that causes a hyersensative reaction,it's a good drug as a general pain killer,but is pretty toxic to the liver,don't take more than recomended,i think some people don't realise that tylenol is a serious drug(i think about 28 is a lethal dose).i'd try to alternate with aspirin if you aren't prone to bleeding(aspirin is a blood thinner).

My usual diet is a Celebrix in the morning, if in more than usual pain I will supplement with tylenol.

Thanks for the reply, when the tylenol is gone I'll switch to asprin.
    Bill

Has anyone ever heard of using Adolphs meat tenderizer on a sting? The theory is that the venom is a protein just like the meat, and it breaks it down.

Dickm

Last time I checked the ingredients, Adolf's was just salt and MSG (Monosodium Glutenate). (that was decades ago but I don't think it's changed). It will draw out the poisen as will table salt, tobbaco and aspirin. Maybe the MSG has some other benefitial effect. I don't know.

one benadryl, and spreading either some diluted ammonia or cortizone cream on the sting is my usual treatment.

Hey guys,

I have to add a little trick that my wife found. She has been growing herbs and stuff for a few years and heard that if you chew on a mint leaf, and then rub the chewed leaf on the area of the sting, it will help relieve the pain. One day as I was checking a hive I got stung so we tried her remedy. It works immediately and completely. I was amazed. So, if you have any mint growing in your garden, give it a try. No side effects.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

Plantain leaf will also work. If you don't know what it looks like I don't know if I can describe it but everyone has seen one. It has oval shaped shiny leaves and a seed "spike" up the middle. It grows in every yard that isn't treated with herbacides. Especially where the traffic has killed the grass.

Does anyone carry an epipen when working bees?

My alergist told me that I should carry one even though I'm not allergic to bee venom. You know how doctors are...