Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

fair price per hive for a pollination cntrct

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Rob Mountain 
#1 ·
what is an average price to ask per hive for a pollination contract?
thanks

#6 ·
The other day the news up here said Almond growers were paying $74 per hive. They were crying for bees since they have a lot invested in many hundreds or thousands of acres in almonds. Almonds are one of the best nuts to eat. I am convinced that I should eat about 24 almonds a day for health. And remembering that every almond eaten is the result of a bee visit - its easy to understand why they are desperate for pollination.

I have also heard of thefts of hives and even honey filled frames. Its a growing problem that doesnt have a cheap or easy answer. Most hives are stolen at night, but one crook stole some hives in the middle of the day - he was caught.
--Ðøug
2004.3.29.1.12.37 PT

#10 ·
Ah,but did they GET 74,or a promise for 74!You have to wonder,since every grower knows he will need bees,why were they dropped by their beekeeper?Some growers are known for'no pay or slow pay'.Just call me suspicious.
Anyway the price was up some from last year,but 54 was a more realistic price.And yes stealing is up too .I just ordered a brand from Brandnew.Pricey,but it might discourage the jerks who want to steal the rewards of someone elses hard work.

#12 ·
>And yes stealing is up too .I just ordered a brand from Brandnew.Pricey,but it might discourage the jerks who want to steal the rewards of someone elses hard work.

I sent mine back. They told me that it would brand the hive leaving an impression. They lied. It was no more than a wood staining kit. It might work to mark your frames, but it will not brand into the paint let alone the wood.

Now they want to only refund a part of my money.

#13 ·
Uh Oh.Guess I will find out since they sent it out this morning.I havent branded in years,but the old one I had from a company long out of business bolted to the end of one of those pump up gasoline torches.It got red hot and would burn a quarter inch deep in no time flat.But new wood was easier than branding through paint.

#14 ·
Bulleye Bill, and loggerman thanks for the input on the brandnew. I was thinking of ordering one, but will wait for your input.

Mike, Tulare Co has a ag theif program, and they gave us a national id number to brand on our equipment, and they will come and do the branding for you,(I told them we had 500 hives, and 1600 suppers to do) all free of charge, they are trying to stop the thefts of hives etc.Check out www.agcrime.net, may be in your aread also

We got 54. for almonds paided 48 hrs after the hives where placed, may not be 74, but we did get paided fast, not looking for our money

#15 ·
Hi Susan,glad everything worked out good in the almonds for you.54 was the average price in the Sacramento Valley this year near as I can tell.I know the contractors are planning a price increase for next year.Our bees picked up a lot on the last week of bloom and most were able to work the prunes(all 7 days of it!} before we got them out.I am going to start splitting this weekend.Will let you know what I think of the brander later.
---Mike

#16 ·
ZEEBEE

Money? Just to be a jerk?”

In South Africa local people used to use the brood for brewing beer. You know how that hurts when you have a couple of thousand hives on pollination and the locals decide it’s party time.

------------------
If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.