BILLY BOB Guest

Lightbulb

Here was a new one for me. I was doing hive inspections at the UGA bee lab last week when I found a queen that needed to be marked. She was a young queen that had only been laying for a week or so. She was nervous and ran from one side of the frame to the other. I reached down and held her in place marked her and let her go, but she only laid there. Like she was dead. I told the lab manager (Jennifer Berry) that there was no way I had killed her. Jennifer gave her a good look over and said “It looks like she passed out.” This was a little more than I could handle, I had never heard of a queen passing out. We put her on the floor of the hive and left her there.

Yesterday we were going through the hives again, and to my surprise, their she was. I still am having a hard time with this one. I guess I never though a bee could pass out. If I would not have seen it my self I would have to question the honesty of the person telling the story. (yeah I understand if you guys don’t believe me)

BB

Yes this happens once in a while.The queen seems to 'faint'.Ive seen it only a few times in clipping thousands of queens over the years.They all recovered and were laying fine on the next inspection.Just a nervous shock,I guess.

Aren't there goats that do this to? Did some genes get transposed ?

Could it be from the "fumes" of the marker?

Nursebee, what do you use to mark your goats??? That must be some strong paint!!!

Smile

And you can also put chickens to sleep by holding them at waist height and moving them in circle a few times and then placing them back on ground. They will stay were placed for about 1 minute before running off. This use to be a game we played as kids (before tv got big) - how many chickens could you get sitting at one time.

Nursebee;

Yes, they are a breed called Tenn. Fainting Goats; stress them a bit and they will fall over in a faint.

Tumbling pigeons suffer from a genetic quirk that causes them to be disoriented in the air.

In a queen bee I would liken it more to a high-strung woman who fainted when the giant grabbed her and painted her butt red.
    Ox