Thread: Feeding

Hi:
    Our nector flow as all but stopped and I need to start feeding asap. I have read of additives (but I can't remember where) that you can add that will intice the bees to it faster and they will also use more. I plan to use top feeders. If anyone knows about these aditives I would appreciate there names and wher I might find them.
    Thanks
    Barney

One additive I have used is Honey-B-Healthy, the bees seem to go for it and it will keep the syrup form molding.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I use the following recipe at about 1 tbs per quart jar of 1:1 feed. It works rather well with about 1.5 quarts taken from a bordman feeder during a dearth/build up.
    </font>
    • 5 cups water</font>
    • 2 1/2 pounds of sugar</font>
    • 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)</font>
    • ~15 drops spearmint oil</font>
    • ~15 drops lemongrass oil

Bring the water to a boil and integrate the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees.</font>
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>

My problem is that the HBH seems to set off robbing frenzies. I'd rather have no smell to the syrup to attract outsiders.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Has anyone used ziplock bags or quail waterers as feeders? how do they compare to hivetop feeders?

I've used ziplock bag feeders quite a bit. But I only have 3 hives; someone with more might find it too much trouble. I put the bags on top of the inner cover, place an empty super box on top then the outer cover (top). I mixed wintergreen oil with mine in the early spring but I would hesitate to do it right now for fear of robbing.

I assume you've looked at robber screens to prevent the robbing?
    Jon, N6VC/5

DonÂ’t use and additives like honey-B-Healthy If you have surplus supers on, it will cause your honey to taste like spearmint and lemongrass.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.