I'm making some SBB from the dadoed side rails the local guy gave me, and I can't seem to get the screen very tight... does anyone have suggestions for stretching it and keeping it tight until I can staple it down?
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

Hi East - does the screen go into grooves? If there are no grooves, cut some on your table saw in the middle of the frame around all 4 sides. Then make some little wedges that taper to 1/16 of an inch (assuming that the saw kerf is about 1/8 of an inch). Drive the wedges into the kerf along one edge. Then do the same on the opposite edge. This will stretch it very taut. This is how caner's stretch woven cane to make chair seats. Or you can make the grooves even bigger (just over 1/8 inch) and buy the rubber rope (about 1/8 inch diameter) they sell at the hardware to repair screens and push it into the groove with the little wheeled pusher they sell for this purpose.

I have some SBB's I made out of concrete. They look like any other SBB just out of concrete. I had trouble with rotting and having to rebuild.I think it will help keep moisture down, the wood boards seem heavy with moisture when changing them out.
    Henry

1/8" hardware cloth doesn't need or take much stretching. It's kind of stiff to start with. A little sag in the middle is normal, just don't get too much. I don't know if you're trying to stretch it over a hole or into a groove or what. But if it was over a hole, I'd staple one corner, and pull to the opposite corner and staple that. Then I'd pick one of the two unstapled ones and repeat. Then staple around the edge.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

This isn't 1/8th hardware cloth. This is just some screen I had laying around. I'm very interested in this concept of making things for "free". I realize this might make them useless against varroa, but the ventilation is still there and I don't have to buy plywood.
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

Then you probably need some support in the middle. A crosspiece underneath would do that.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The the easiest route is as David suggested.

Cut in an 1/8" groove and buy a screening kit at home supply store. It will have the rubber cord and wheeled tool which makes it a snap. The kits are fairly inexpensive as well.