Thread: Queens

Question

Where do I get queens from this time of year.?
    Somewhere near central Minnesota.

------------------
    Erwin

Package bees are best if they are close. Queens don't matter much except that they may be more adapted to your climate if they are at the same latitude. There are a lot of queen breeders listed on this site.

Go to the beesource home page. (www.beesource.com) then click on "Bees & Supplies" then under "Queens and Package Bees" click on "United States" They are listed by state. You can look at states close to you.

You could check with Jim at Natures Nectar in Stillwater, he usually has some.(naturesnectar@msn.com /651-439-8793) Otherwise, Cannon Bee in the Twin Cities, 612-861-8999

[This message has been edited by ChellesBees (edited July 20, 2003).]

If what you want is Northern queens I get some nice Italians from Ontario from www.beeworks.com

M.B.

Have you had enough time with your Ontario bees yet to give an update? Really curious what you are experiencing with them. Especially if you got an italian type. I have only had one italian from up there, the rest were mainly buckfasts.

I just installed them a week ago. I did some splits and then put the queens in them. I just left them a couple of days and direct released them. One was shortly superceded, don't know why, and the others are laying up a storm. But that's all I know for now.

Michael,
    How about the Cordovians or to early to tell?
    Marty

>Cordovans

The queens are beautiful and laying up a storm. I just installed them a week ago, so I don't know what the bees will be like.

If you get American Bee Journal or Bee Culture magazines, in either queen producers advertise. There are probably 25 different queen producers in each (+-). Most if not all are reputable, honorable people taking pride in providing the best bee possible, and all would probably say their bee is superior to the others.

Variability in the queens has more to do with the receiving beekeepers care and natural variability than with breed or queen producer.

Via air mail, the queens can be on your doorstep from anywhere in the U.S.A. within 24 hrs. Sometimes the P.O. flubs it up and they take longer, but if all goes "as planned" they should arrive in good condition.