I have an old hay field that I am going to try
    to plant this year. I will probably have to broadcast seed around and won't be able to drill them down. I am hoping for a bloom this year. Any suggestions on a plant that will be able to compete with the grasses. I have clover seed but I am concerned that, it isn't the best choice.

Clover is hard to beat. Staggering planting buckwheat could be a good choice. I've been planting the following:

Dutch white clover to fill in all year, at least if there isn't a drought. (couldn't find any Huban)
    Buckwheat staggered planing to try to fill in gaps. It holds up a bit better to the drought.
    Chicory for fall.
    Goldenrod for fall.
    Aster for fall.

The clover and Buckwheat seeds are the cheapest and what I planted the most. The Goldenrod was the most expensive and what I bought the least of.

My theory on planting is just to fill the gaps. The main flow will probably come from somewhere else anyway, but having even a small, steady supply of pollen and nectar keeps the bees going and keeps them from robbing.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm planting some Hairy Vetch this year to see how it does. It's supposed to be hardy up to like -20 so if it works out, might be an option for you MB. It has the added benefit like clover that it adds nitrogen to the soil.

I've also planted Birdsfoot trefoil and alfalfa. I haven't tried any vetch.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

every think about apple trees?
    planted 20 this year , still leaves room for clover under them.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

I have planted several of them also several years ago. Three are still alive. [img]smile.gif[/img] Drought and mice and rabbits have been hard on them.

Fruiting pears are just as good fro the bees and less likely to be eaten by rabbits.

Speaking of Pear trees, does anybody have them and wasps start to take chunks out of the flesh on the actual pear, and then have honey bees take the juice from them??

The yellow jackets open the skin and the bees take the juice. This is with hybred pears like bradford but those that have fruit. It is so late in the fall that the "honey" stay on the hives for winter stores.

&gt;Speaking of Pear trees, does anybody have them and wasps start to take chunks out of the flesh on the actual pear, and then have honey bees take the juice from them??

The bees definitely work the pear juice as do the wasps. I'm guessing it probably is the wasps that break the skin.