Thread: Zero brood?

My hive yesterday had no eggs, larvae or capped brood at all. I was actually trying to find the queen (and didn't); the hive was very mellow, and I didn't see any queen cells or cups even, but it seemed kinda weird.

They're well-ventilated, and have room... I'm hoping they didn't stealth-swarm on me. The queen's marked, but there was a good population to hide in. Maybe not quite as populous as last time I was in.

Isn't it a little early for the queen to have knocked off entirely (at least 21 days ago, mid August)?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Yes. A queenless hive is not always aggressive. If theya are not bringing in pollen, no brood and no queen is located it is probably queenless. If the hive is still strong and well stored, I would requeen ASAP, expecially since you locale will have little time left to build a winter cluster. If not plan to do a newspaper combine and take your loss in the Fall.

Manitoba, Canada, North of the 50th Parallel

Just wondering if the queen has actually laid at all. Or has she laid eggs, but has now "stopped" ?
    Happiness comes from within

She's been doing pretty well; not a textbook perfect pattern but adequate. They're bringing in pollen. There do seem to be a lot of drones...
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Are you in a dearth? Queens will shut down in a dearth, especially late in the year. Add a frame of eggs. If you don't see queen cells in a couple of days, the queen is still there most likely.