Well we live and learn, [Hopefully] I put a feeder on and raised the front of the outer cover for ventilation. and learned the hard way that this makes an entrance for ROBBER BEES. Just trying to help them I thought! That is one more mistake that I will remember. Dale

You also have to be careful of inner covers with the upper entrance cut in them.

I have trouble getting my bees to find the darn top feeders. Any hints from anyone?
    Denise

Put honey in them. They have no trouble finding it. You can use Honey Bee Healthy or Wintergreen oil etc. and they can smell that. Dribble a little down onto the bees. That sometimes works.

Hi Denise,

I just put a bunch of feeders on and a week later the bees haven't found them. Even with the honey-b-healthy. They DID get in from outside and go swimming. Since I like to leave the cover up also I said to hell with it and covered the entire feeder with 1/8 inch hardware cloth. (screen) I may have a problem because I put an empty super of foundation between the bees and the feeder. I removed this on one hive yesterday. Maybe I'll dribble a little honey in there.

Dickm

dickm, I put the 1/8" hail screen on mine also. Don't like for the bees to go swimmin. Dale

Lightbulb

Possibly your bees figure they don't need sugar water because they have natural nector that they can get. They like nector better than sugar water.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

I agree the bees lose interest in sugar water when there is a good flow on. They will use it on a rainy day when they can't get out though.

It's been rain rain rain. Maybe it's too cool for them to move that much. I'm stymied.

Dickm

While doing some research on something else I came across a paper by Jim Tew in which he mentions that not finding a top feeder can be explained by the fact that the bees have no dance to say, "look straight up!"If you put new feed on you'll often see the bees become active in front of the hive. I suppose it would be as if you saw one of your kids eating a ham sandwich...the last place you would think that he'd got it from would be the attic!
    Checked the bees again yesterday and most of them still had not found the feeder.

Dickm