Question

Has anyone heard of a method to hunt and locate a wild bee hive in the woods? My grandfather did this for years and now I have a set of his bee hunting boxes and located a hive in a hackberry tree 100 yards from the house. Just curious if anyone has heard of this method being used by anyone or if anyone wants to know how it is done.

go down about 15 posts. theres another post about bee hunting

Here is a link that is provide on this site. This is the only info that I have read on the subject and it has piqued my curiosity. I would love it if you could offer more information.
    http://www.beesource.com/pov/wenner/bsjun1992.htm

------------------
    Phoenix
    http://beeholder.blogspot.com/

Mark:
    I got my start in bees from trees in the woods along a river back home.

Where I lived the only trees of consequence were along the watercourses. In the spring I would walk quietly along the high ground back from the riverbank and listen. Soon I would hear the hum of bees and there would be my bee tree. I have found them coming and going from knots two inches above ground and 30 feet up into the tree's branches. Some trees I cut, some I did not.

Ox

Mark ...Brushy Mountain has a VHS tape on hunting Bees its pretty good ... One thing that wasnt too clear was once the tree was down and open locating the Queen can be tricky to say the least ...Rick

In the magazine FUR-FISH-GAME there is an ad for Harding's Pleasure & Historic Books. One of them is titled "Bee Hunting" 72 pages. Priced $3.95. I can't vouch for the content of this book, but is most likely a reprint of an older book. They don't have a web site.
    The address is: FUR-FISH-GAME,Book Dept.,2878 E.Main St. Columbus,OH 43209
    Call (614)231-9585

I have and old copy of ABC-XYZ.
    Under beehunting they say to follow a bee.....from flower to flower, and when its "full", it will "Bee line" ( Thus the expression..) back to its hive. If you loose track of it in flight, search out another bee and repeat. You get closer to the originating hive with each bee,( or perhaps a full bee flys slower? ). It's supposed to take you right to the feral hive.

No joke. Never tried it, but who knows?

John Russell

jfischer Guest

> Has anyone heard of a method to hunt and
    > locate a wild bee hive in the woods?
    www.bee-quick.com/bee-quick/500

The EAS 2004 event was rained out, but
    bring your box and compete at the next
    event, which appears to be West Virginia
    in September 2004.

jim