Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good Evening

Thankfully, no bee work tonight.

Just a couple thoughts on NWC's.

Most of us think of carniolans as dark however it is not always the case. I believe that Sue Cobey picks breeder material based on specific traits such as brood pattern, pollen/honey stores, shutdown/buildup, temper, etc. I might be wrong but I don't think color is necessarily a primary factor for her.

Secondly, keep in mind that not only are lots of them open mated in California but that it is extremely common for carniolans to be specifically mated to italians in the search for hybrid vigor. Then if someone isnt in the NWC program anymore but using a daughter as a next generation breeder you get all types of workers.

I've noticed that Strachan carniolans seem to routinely be dark yet those from Heitkam are routinely light colored.

Hi
    been reading the forum quite interesting . The cordovans are bred number one for gentleness color and production. last year Koenhen sent 100+ virgin queens to Ohio Queen Breeders (Joe ladshaw) and had them artificial insemenated and sent them back to Koehnen to breed from. Last year i bought a 3lb package they were so gentle and very handsome bee and very easy to work with. I got 257 lbs of honey from that one hive. They shipped the queen in a bullet shaped cage all by herself .I did not like that setup, but beekeepers around here say that acceptence is better because she must rely on the host bees to feed and care for her,plus the not having the attendences trying to protect her and ticking off the main bunch. I know Koehnen didn't get queens from Ohio Queen Breeders this year for some reason but was told they are still breeding from that stock. I really love the cordovans and will stick with them till I feel differently Walt

MB> I got some Carnolians and the queen is all black but the offspring look like Italians. Maybe not as bright colored but Italians just the same. I guess they are open mated.

The NWC I recieved from Drapers were all black, the ones I got from Koehen I did not get a real good look at yet but I don't think they were completely black like the ones from Drapers.

MB> What color is the head, neck and tail of the "lighter colored Italians"? If there is no black on them then they are Cordovans.

My Cordovan queen in the observation hive has been released today. She is completly orange with no black, the thorax (part behind the head?) is a little darker, maybe cordovan colored? Very pretty and easy to spot in my hive of Buckfast bees.

WM> Most of us think of carniolans as dark however it is not always the case. I believe that Sue Cobey picks breeder material based on specific traits such as brood pattern, pollen/honey stores, shutdown/buildup, temper, etc. I might be wrong but I don't think color is necessarily a primary factor for her.

This is what I am hopeing for. All the articles that I have read indicate that the NWC has the best of all traits. They did not rate at the top of individule catagories, but overall sound like the best overall.

WM> Then if someone isnt in the NWC program anymore but using a daughter as a next generation breeder you get all types of workers.

I am sure that they are still very good, time will tell.

WJW> Last year i bought a 3lb package (Cordovans)they were so gentle and very handsome bee and very easy to work with. I got 257 lbs of honey from that one hive.

I can only hope mine turn out so well.

WJW> I really love the cordovans and will stick with them till I feel differently Walt

That is quite an endorsement, I really look forward to seeing how they do!

Thanks for your replies,
    Bill

Bill,

Back on the 19th of May you asked about the breeder in Ms that called their bees Red Heads. That beeder is K & B HONEY FARMS
    P.O. Box 242, Mathiston, MS. 39752,
    phone: 601-263-4233,fax: 601-263-4964
    - golden red-head.

If I read correctly you now have what you wanted but I thought I would pass this info to you anyway.
    Steve