Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question

O.K., I give up waiting for McCary, #%@$&*^!

It's almost too late now, but, does anyone out there know who and where with phone # for a package of Cordovan close to Kansas, or at least for a couple of queens if far away?
    Thanks,

------------------
    Bullseye Bill
    Smack dab in the middle of the country.

Buckeye Bee from Ohio still has some available. I have never ordered from him - therefore I can make no statement of quality or ability to deliver on time.

The web site is http://www.buckeyebee.com

Thumbs down

I went to their web site and they advertise that they will only ship 50 or more queens. Queens are $15. picked up. I will call and see if they will ship a couple to me, their two pound packages are $60... plus shipping, surely there are some other suppliers out there?

Finally gave up on McCary????? LOL...Hey,I think I read on a post awhile ago that C.F.Koehnen & sons inc.in Calif. carries them. I know thats not too close to you, but them and McCary are the only 2 I've heard of who has them......................BB

hey Bill,
    Sorry about McCary ,I did buy last year from Koehnen in California and the bees were great . My problem with them was shipping for me to buy one 3 lb of bees and queen it would have cost me 97.00 because of overnite UPS and that is the only way they ship. two packages the price goes down to 160.00 for two . for u in Kansas it should be alot cheaper. and overnite u are sure u are getting them. I think McCary is overwhelm with all the orders. Everyone is looking for bees and it still isn't too late . Yours in our great hobby.
    walt

Bill,

Glenn Apiaries in CA. Have cordovan queens, but they are 75.00 ea. That hurts, but the are artificially mated. So all your bees will be cordovan.

Thesurveyor

I wouldnt recommend putting an inseminated queen in a production hive.They are for breeding purposes.They wont do as well as a naturally mated queen(less brood,superceded pretty quick)Besides who could afford it?
    ---Mike

I have ordered and received many 3 lb packages from Buckeye Bee and he delivers mostly on time (depending on the weather) and the last 5 3 pound packages actually had almost 3 1/4 puonds of bees in them with very few dead bees.
    over the years I have had very good luck with him and his bees
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I don't know what the deal is with McCary, I was checking some of the old posts and saw where those of you who ordered from him ordered WAY after me, Walt ordered almost two months after me and he got his, so I just don't know why McCary stiffed me.

Loggermike suggested that I just order queens and I think that is the way to go at this point. I have had calls to come get swarms, two in the last four days, and I have a barn floor I promised a farmer that I would clear out for him this weekend, so I am wondering why buy? I will try to get in an order tommorow for some queens and they should be here by Friday.

That colony in the barn is the smallest bees I'd ever seen. I think that I will keep them as is and not treat them at all with anything. The farmer has had them there for many years, they may be a very resilliant strain.

One question for any of you, are the bees advertized in Mississippi, I forgot the name of the breeder, that are called Red Heads, the same as Cordovans?

Thanks again,
    Bill

Billorry about Mr mccary, the other breeder in Ms. is Mr Russell in bolton Ms,yes his bee's is what I call cordovan's.The way I understand it is he got his breed from mr mccary,his number is(601)866-4300,he live's in Bolton Ms,All the bee's I have here is cordovan's I'm fixing to start raising queen's( have raised a few already),but maybe if you don't find any soon that I can help you get some.

hi Bill and Mark,
    I don't know what went wrong with bill's order with Mr.Cary. It just don't seem right. I don't think Mr McCary tried to stiff ya. He told me once on the phone that he works with the queens and his boys work with the packages. I really think he was overwhelm with the way the bees were ordered fast and furious. I think you were just caught in the middle. Bill are your bees still ordered with him? I ordered two packages and the post office called me to tell me to pick them up in Akron main postoffice some 25 miles away the screen was broken and bees were loose in the postoffice receiving dock . Can you imagine the post office doing that???? LOL the one package we hived that night and the queen was marked the next day the twin boys came over from 4=H and we hived them the queen wasn"t marked . very few bees dead in either package. Now if the weather would just cooperate things should be fine. Bill please keep in touch and mark thats really kind of you offering to help bill out. This is what its all about helping one another along in this hobby of ours.
    In this great hobby Walt

Sad

I spoke with Mr. Russell tonight. He said he had shut down till next year. It appears that it is going to be difficult or very expensive to get any packages this late in the year.

Thanks again guys, today I gathered the phone numbers for Midwest in OH., Russell in MS., and C.F.Koehen in CA. I received some NWC queens two weeks ago from Drapers Super Bee and liked their prompt service. So I called them to see about a couple more NWC and to see if they carried any Cordovan queens. Well they were expecting more NWC tomorrow or the next day and do not carry Cordovan and asked me to call tomorrow to see if the NWC show up.

My next call was to C F Koehen, they carry and have both the queens I wanted so I placed an order. I have a project lined up for this weekend removing a colony from a barn and wanted to have a little insurance in case I don't get the queen or end up killing her.

I also want to get two of my existing colonys requeened to the NWC this weekend, and also want to get my observation hive set up with the Cordovan.

I have two swarms in the back yard to requeen also. So with all of this going on I think that I really do not need any packages and more than likely I will probably get some more swarm calls in the near future.

I did try to cancel my order with McCary today but got no answer. I think that with his sloppy bookkeeping that he probably doesn't have an order recorded for me. It doesn't make any sense that he would skip the first orders taken and ship the later ones first. Even when I called he didn't actully look up my order, he just promised to ship and then it did not happen. I'm done with him and could not in any good concience recomend him to anyone.

I will have my Cordovan queens Thursday from a reputable dealer and life will be good.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Bill

You cann't go wrong with CF Koehnen. They are great. Got packages from them and the queens are super.

I have nothing but good experiences with them. If they say they will be there on a certian day, you can set you watch by them.

Thesurveyor

Sounds like you are going to be busy this weekend. Wish I were closer so I could help. Have Fun!!!!! Dale

And what a weekend it was, and am I tired!

All went well, my queens showed up on Thursday, and I took off early afternoon Friday.

The queens were in a common box, in seperate cages with no attendants in the cages. The box was filled with about a cup of bees to attend to the queens, and a feeder in the bottom of the box.

The carnolians were marked with a 'C' and the others were not marked.

I got the invoice in the mail today, it listed Carnolians and Italians. Concerned that they were not listed as Cordovans and New World Carnolians, I called them.

When I placed my order I specified Cordovan and New world Carnolian queens. They told me that they had them. What they told me today when I called is that they recieve queens from many different sources and could not guarantee that the Carnolians were New World. They were listed as a source for NWC, and were enrolled in the project, but not anymore. How nice of them to decieve me when placing my order.

The Cordovans they sell are just a light colored Italian, not a particular strain that they develop, just lighter than the other Italians that they have.

Maybe I expect too much. I don't know why I have such trouble getting my orders right. Drapers Super Bee I give an A+, Koehen a B- because they sent my order and I got it on time, my only concern is that they did not send me exactly what I ordered, albiet the queens are probably very good, just not what they told me they were when I ordered, and my good friend McCary an F. (see where's my bees)

A side note, if you order queens from Koehen, specify what kind of packaging you want your queens in. I wanted to open the box in two different locations, and having the attendants lose in the box was not very good for that.

Bill

Bill,

Keep us posted on the queens progress. Curious to see how you rate them on performance.

I feel for you, is sounds like you have had nothing but bad luck with getting orders this year.

Thesurveyor

>What they told me today when I called is that they recieve queens from many different sources and could not guarantee that the Carnolians were New World.

I got some Carnolians and the queen is all black but the offspring look like Italians. Maybe not as bright colored but Italians just the same. I guess they are open mated.

>The Cordovans they sell are just a light colored Italian, not a particular strain that they develop, just lighter than the other Italians that they have.

Cordovan is not a breed. Cordovan is a color variation and all of the Cordovans that I know of for sale are an Italian with that color variation. The color is that there is no black on them. The head and tail and legs are "cordovan" colored which is a kind of purplish brown. I got a lot of Cordovan workers in the packges with my Carnolian queens. They are cute and seem quite docile.

>I got some Carnolians and the queen is all black but the offspring look like Italians. Maybe not as bright colored but Italians just the same. I guess they are open mated.

I like that the queens are a very different appearance than the rest of the bees, it makes them easier to find.

I understand that Cordovan is not a breed, however, I was under the impression that they were a strain developed for their appearance and demeanor, not "just a lighter colored Italian".

When I requeened my swarms that I captured, I saved the old queens. One in particular was very intent on laying, she did not even slow down when I pulled the frame. I watched her lay about seven or eight eggs, then I had to get on with the task at hand and then get to work. I am seriously concidering useing her to requeen my SMR's. I have an idea who's bee yard that queen's swarm came from and he is a very good beekeeper. The bottom tray in that hive is also very very clean. I hope that she is not hurt, the bees were balling her before I could get her into the cage. They were very intent on stinging her.

Bill

What color is the head, neck and tail of the "lighter colored Italians"? If there is no black on them then they are Cordovans.