I was traveling north on Rt. 701 last teusday, March 7th, from Conway, SC. After I passed White Lake I saw a 1 Ton Ford(I think) with a Bobcat skidder on a trailer and beehives on the deck, followed by a semi loaded with beehives. The hives were all whuite in color and very neat lokking. This was about 8:00 AM. No nets on either load, so I assumed that they were from "close by".

Any ideas as to who that was? Is it time for blueberries to bloom in North Carolina? It seems early. But the weather has been good in that part of the U.S. this late winter.

What live colonies that I have in SC are mostly in good shape. Fourty eight are in threes story colonies, now. Fourty eight are in doubles and 12 are in singles. In a couple of weeks, I aught to be able to split the tall ones quite a bit. The singles, mmaybe I can split them once before bringing them north in late April or early May. I'm planning on making my 107 into almost 400 for pollination, in May.

Charles' graduation from Army Boot Camp was great to see. He's in Colorado now, until Iraq calls him away in October. We'll see what comes.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

My guess is it was Jack Trapp. He's big in that area. A hundred miles northwest of there, or here, in other words, the blueberries are bulging but not bursting. With the next 4 days forecast in the 70's, it wouldn't surprise me to see blueberry blooms within a week.

Jack Tapp = Busy Bee
    Jack Tapp is not near to there but he does pollinate there. Last I heard, he uses a tractor not a loader.

It might be late for blueberries to be moving them there. Did you look at the bloom? That would be the key. I recall moving bees to there mid Feb with another beek that has white truck with loader.

Folks from all over NC pollinate that area. There is a ton of berries there. Pick a name and they were likely there.

NC requires inspection if you were hoping to get some action. Nobody called me this year so maybe they have had enough. Price is low but you might be able to make some honey there.

Your planning on splits sounds plausible but I would doubt the strength of your hives in a competitive environment.

No, I'm not thinking of trying to find pollination work in NC blueberries. I was just curious who the person was that I saw. I thought about turning around a chasing them down to see. But I had a one thousand mile journey ahead of me.

I have enough equipment to run 600 to 800 colonies. So my plan is to get bees in as much of that equipment as possible. I need bees in it tomaintain the equipment. Then I need bees in it to produce a honey crop for this coming years sales. I also need about 400 for pollination in NY. The quality of colonies for pollination won't be what it has been. The orchards will just have to be satisfied or look for thier pollination needs somewhere else. I'm thinking about raising the price too.

Whoops, he'll kill me for mispelling his name.

What do they charge for blueberry pollination in North Carolina?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Hey, that's where I live. It's a bit early for blueberries. My strawberries are just starting to flower a bit. Strawberries are also big here. Many folks will place their hives in a strawberry farm just for a place to set them.

We had school at our Columbus County meeting last week so there wasn't much conversation.
    GeeB
    Life must be lived forward but understood backwards.

Trevor,
    I do not know pricing. I have had heard at least one nasty competition story (akin to price fixing and then the organizer undercutting). My guess is that price is along the low end of the published reports for this zone/area.

And what is that, Joe?

If you took 701 through Clinton to I40, you passed within about 1000 feet of 20 of my hives. You should have heard them hummin.
    Triangle Bees

Check the chart in either ABJ or BC. One of them has these nice little charts...

Check the chart in either ABJ or BC. One of them has these nice little charts...

I'm in TX away from home. PLZ check for yer self.

Oh, I thought perhaps you knew from experience. I'm just curious. I don't have any ideas of doing any NC pollination. Those charts are suspect, in my opinion. Figures don't lie but liars can figure, you know.

Whatcha doin' in TX? Looking for some queens to bring home? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Most likely who you saw was Bill Lathan. He has about 600 hives and pollinates blueberries in and around White Lake - and most of Bladen County.

As for Pollination fees for blueberries in Southeastern NC it ranges from $45-$60 a hive depending on who you're dealing with. The $60 a hive guy is really pushing his luck, in my opinion, and and I know of at least one blueberry farmer who is ready to buy his own hives and send him packing.

-Jeff