Thread: mite control

Hybrid View

Are there any bee keepers in the South East using the 4.9mm foundation as a means of mite control, and what success is achieved?

Are there any bee keepers in the South East using the 4.9mm foundation as a means of mite control, and what success is achieved?

reply:

Not that I am aware of at this time. Those whom are using 4.9 are in the beginning stages. Join biobee group and ask the 4.9ers to see if any are in the south east? But I would guess most would be starting this spring.

Clay

thank you Clay - tried to order 4.9 mm foundation yesterday and was discouraged from trying it. People kept telling me it was solely for the purpose of raising drones, and would not do anything toward mite control here in N.W. Fla.

Hi,

4.9 is NOT for drone raising. As a matter of fact only 10% drones are allowed on anyone frame. Could they be confusing this with drone foundation that is found on the same page in the catalog?

Clay

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi,

I've ordered 4.9mm for this spring, to start some new hives on. My nuc suppler told me that he would start the nucs on 4.9mm if I gave him the foundation. If you want to know his # let me know.

Hi,

I want to forewarn you. Regressing bees to 4.9 is a tough process. The best I could do last season was to get bees to 5.0 (some 4.95). One will most likely have to shake the bees down onto new foundation again as they can only go down about .2mm at a time. So if you start on 5.2 cell sizing they will most likely go down to 5.0. It will take two seasons for certain using duragilt at 5.4 sizing. There is a definite window bees will draw the smaller cells. Early spring to just before the honey flow. Once the honey flow starts many colonies won't draw the proper cell size as they make a honey storage size. Some colonies will however draw proper combs by adding 1 or 2 frames of foundation between brood combs. Repeat cycle. One should work poorly draw combs to the out side of the brood nest and up to be culled later. The best should be worked to the center where brood rearing takes place. With all that said bees should be started as early as bees will draw comb in the spring. Keep a metric ruler handy as you will need to measure often. You will need a good supply of foundation (twice as much as you normally need). Save all wax combs and see if dadant will work it into more foundation. If they won't, I may mill foundation for people next year( small quantities) depending how this season goes with regressions. As for starting nucs on 4.9 can't say how it works yet! Will test on two overwintered nucs this spring.

regards,

Clay

Reply:

Yes, quite a few. We were down there in 1997 for the Alambama State Assoc 100 anniversary meeting and while there taught a workshop on making 4.9mm foundation to several who attended the meeting. There are people now owning their own mills in Greenville Ala, Mobile, Ala. Also beekeepers from the panhandle of Fla attended the meeting.

Right now Bolling Bee (Bill Gafford) of Greenville sells package bees from colonies on 4.9mm foundation.

People to call who can tell you more in the Southeast Would be: JIm Smith (Mobile) at 1-251-675-9129, Bill Gafford (Greenville) at 1-334-382-6878, Doc Bullard (has Fla State Assoc discussion group at Yahoo) can also help you talk to people knowing about 4.9 in Florida.

Also, while at this here, do not confuse 4.9mm foundation with drone comb, as they are two different products and both used quite differently.

Though they can be used together, 4.9mm foundation can be used by itself with culling of drone cells to no more than 10% on any one frame.

Drone comb foundation cannot be used by itself and must be used with other foundations. Also it is labor intensive.

Regards,

Dee A. Lusby