We finally got a little sunshine today after several days of almost non-stop rain, and I was finally able to go through my hives. [img]smile.gif[/img]

One was a swarm that I captured about 3 weeks ago and was pleased to see that the queen has been laying in pretty nice patterns on a handful of frames. I was in the center of the box looking at a frame of brood when I heard a faint "flute" type sound. I didn't think much of it... thought it may be music from the house across the field. Then I heard it again and this time noticed that it was coming from the box - could it be a Piping Queen? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I pulled out the next frame and heard it again but much clearer this time, and sure enough... there she was! I held the frame up for quite a while watching her, in awe. She must have stopped and piped 10 times while I was watching her.. and each time she piped, all the bees within about a 4 inch radius instantly froze - and as soon as she stopped they all started moving again. It was one of the coolest experiences I have had in a while with the bees. Awesome!

Anyway, it's probably no big deal for most of you, but I just wanted to share my 1st.
    To everything there is a season....

I'm guessing there's another queen in the hive. There was probably more than one queen in the swarm.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

WOW I wish I wasn`t hard of hearing
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

That's when you tell the new guy with you....'Look out....she's gonna blow.....' and take off running!
    If you're not confused you just don't know what's going on.

What a cool experience! This is only my second year. Have heard this online, but never for real.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

The most fascinating part was watching the reaction of the workers. The second she started to pipe the workers instantly froze in place, like pausing a movie. Then the instant she stopped, every bee was immediately scurrying around again, they just picked up where they left off... like starting up the movie again. It's hard to explain, but was an absolute treat for me [img]smile.gif[/img]
    To everything there is a season....

Yeah, that's way cool. The only times that I've ever heard piping were when multiple queens are together in a shipping package or queen bank. Never in a solo hive, and I've been at this for fifteen years.

Good on ya'.

Cheers.

Piping queens are cool. Seeing and hearing them the first time is something you got to experience to believe it.

Although - you don't have to be a virgin to make bees freeze. If you have an observation hive you can make the bees freeze with your own voice. It takes a little practice with different pitches. Sing a single note right in front of the observation hive glass window. When you hit the right pitch, all the bees freeze, as long as you can hold the note. When you stop they start scurrying around again. It works for male or female voices.

Yes, - and it is just another reason to switch the channel to the observation hive's Bee-TV - it is a much more interactive form of entertainment.
    5-8 hives

Released another queen in a nuc today. She piped twice, then settled down and started inspecting cells. Cool sound.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

What a neat post Mike, I have never had the experience to hear the queens piping.
    jrhelliott@gmail.com

Never had the opportunity to hear one in a hive. My first piping queen (that I actually heard) was a new queen that I purchased for replacement last year. She was singing to me from my shirt pocket on the drive home!