Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)
    Posts
    150

    Sad

    Greetings,

    I just bought an old stainless steel soup kettle, cafeteria-size (about 35 gallons) for 50$CAN. I intend to use it to put my honey in out of the extractor. I will adapt a honey gate on the drain pipe that is right at the bottom of the kettel, and also adapt a small water-heater on it (I think it worked with steam originaly). That way I will be able to lightlty heat my honey and bottle it.

    The thing is that the guy who sold me it kept it in his garage for a decade, using it to store his bags of dog food. I just clean everything up tonight, but I still can smell the dog food in it. Do you guys know a way of making this smell go off the stainless steel ? I filled it with water and dishwashing soap and will leave it in for a day or two.

    I hope someone has an idea...

    Hugo

    [This message has been edited by abeille (edited June 01, 2004).]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,262

    Post

    Maybe some vinegar and water will do the trick.

    Leave it overnight and empty, then put it in the suns light till the smell goes away.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Porter, Ok USA
    Posts
    491

    Post

    The smell has to be either in the "oil" residue on the sides (inside and outside) of the container or in the seams of the metal.

    Try washing the outside with sudy ammonia and the same for the inside. If there are seams in the metal fill it with a mix of water and chlorox and let is sit for a day .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Grifton, NC
    Posts
    1,302

    Post

    You could wash it with ammonia. It is an organic "solvent" It should dissolve grease and oils that may be clinging to the surface of the stainless. Followed by detergent like Dawn and multiple clear water rinses, it should clear up the problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    Posts
    5,159

    Post

    I would use undiluted Clorox.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    42

    Post

    Is Chlorox a bleach?

    If so, don't. Bleach and SS do not mix and you might ruin your pot this way.

    The vinegar tip is the best one for you.

    As I homebrew in SS, I have special cleaners and sanitizers, so if all fails, the local beer fanatic or brewpub might be able to help.

    Cinnamon

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,464

    Post

    I splash some vinegar in straight and rub it around and then add a little water and let it soak, when I'm cleaning my stainless extractor.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Redfield, Ar. USA
    Posts
    7

    Post

    I would try soaking the pot overnight with baking soda and water. It is a great deodorizer!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL USA
    Posts
    104

    Post

    What about using some lemon juice?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Auburn, AL USA
    Posts
    104

    Post

    What about using some lemon juice?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,464

    Post

    All of the above usually work for different reasons. The ammonia is what I would bet on for the pickle smell because I think the essential oils from the dill have permeated the plastic and the ammonia will cut the oil the best.

    Vinegar and lemon juice tend to react with most smells and remove them. But, of course the pickle bucket has had vinegar in it for a while. The baking soda tends to absorb odors and nutralize a lot of things. It's a buffer, meaning it acts like an acid in the presence of a base and a base in the presence of an acid. This means that weather what you are trying to nuetralize is a base or an acid it will react with it.

    I have the best luck with buckets from the donut shops that had icing in them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Jonquière, Quebec (ABOVE 48th parallel North!!)
    Posts
    150
    Update on the smell...

    I bought ammonia and mixed it with water and filled the kettle with it and let it soak for 24 hours. (This stuff stinks!! Just like forgetting to empty the kitty litter for a month...)

    After a good rince, I can't smell the dog food anymore. It seems to have work. Thanks for the great tips.

    James, that was my intention to use a small pump between a small water heater and the soup kettle, to reciruclate the hot water efficiently. And I am counsidering to if I can find another kettle, to use it as a was-melter... Any thoughts ?

    Hugo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads