Be informed that Oklahoma House Bill 1809 will make many changes to the Oklahoma Apiary Act. Beekeepers will have new requirements and inspection fees will be set by the Dept. of Agriculture once the bill is signed into law.

If you wish to read it, go to www.lsb.state.ok.us and choose Text of Measures. Work your way through it to HB1809 and read the Engrossed version to see the latest wording.

The bill has passed through the House of Representatives and is in committee in the Senate.

"If the Department discovers an apiary that does not appear to have a registration identification number, the Department shall make a reasonable effort to locate and notify the beekeeper or owner. If no beekeeper or owner is identified for the apiary, then it may be designated as an abandoned apiary, and the Department may destroy the apiary or donate it to an appropriate research facility."

I pulled this from the legislation text. It is out of context, but I would hate to find "my" hives had been taken, or destroyed, if I failed to jump through their hoops.

If I lived in Oklahoma, I would read the whole legeslation changes and make sure you are comfortable with this.
    Todd Zeiner

Todd there were several discussion pertaining to abandoned apiary sites and registration of apiary sites.
    Section 3-113 B: The Department shall issue to each registrant a registration identification number. Any person owning an apiary that does not register with the Department shall be required to post personal contact information at or near their apiary.

Okiebee:
    Sounds like you are on top of the issue. Thanks for keeping us informed. I always keep watch for these "changes" in legislation in Indiana.
    Todd Zeiner

Mike and Okie,
    Thanks for posting this valuable information. By keeping everyone informed of Legislative issues, we are better equipped to determine impacts.

Thanks again,
    David

Seems to me I read in the not too distant past that OK was looking at revision of their law because of inadequacies pertaining to AHB. Laws are needed to protect the public and other beekeepers from nusiance situations. Caution must be taken that they fairly and effectively do that. They are easy to make but not always easy to get rid of if bad.

Bob Nelson

Out here where the antelope play, and setting between that which blows and that what sucks, we have no apiary inspection, registration, or regulation. But "THE AHB IS COMING!" I fear that we will be in line soon to be protected from ourselves "For our own good".
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! I just wanted Oklahoma beekeepers to know change and additional regulation were in the wind.

Mike

I spoke to the county extension agent yesterday about regestering my location to protect me against insecticide kill or at least to notify local pesticide applicators so they will know how to reach me so I can move or protect my hives if they were to spray near my yard.

He did not have the answers the first time he called me back, was good enough to call the Dep. of Ag. and return another call. After explaining to me that we have not had any law concerning bees since 2002 on the books that he could not help me, but did suggest getting in touch with local co-ops and notify them myself.

The most interesting part of our conversation was his interest in AHB, obviously spurred by his conversation with the Ag. dept. He wanted me to keep him abreast of any information and reports of movement into the state and especially into his county. He also said that the state was very aware of the legislation in OK and is looking into some kind of action here in our state.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam