Question

http://home.nycap.rr.com/summerproject/nuc1.jpg

Last week (Monday)I put 3 frames of brood into this Nuc box along with a frame with some honey and the bees that were on the frames. I added a caged queen.
    The ad for these polystrene Nuc boxes says that you feed by pumping sugar water into the entrance hole and let it trickle on the floor. The ad says you can put up to 2 liters at a time in, but I only put in about 16 ozs for fear of drowning the bees.
    Now I have a feeling that this Nuc could be being plundered because of the smell of the Sugar water(with honey B healthy).The fact that I have just introduced a queen complicates matters because I don't want to disturb the Nuc box too much and upset the queen(If she still is alive). I did turn it to the small entrance reducer, but if the Nuc is not being robbed they really need a larger entrance or maybe a 10 frame hive. Anyone have any ideas how I could tell if this is Robbing or a population explosion?

Just to clarify things. There is an entrance hole below the wing nut where the cluster of bees are. The hole above is a screened vent. There is a vent on the other side also.

[This message has been edited by Let_it _Bee (edited May 30, 2004).]

I would never feed a nuc with HBH in the syrup. It's just asking to get robbed. In fact that is one thing I don't like about HBH.

My guess is you got robbed. I'd put in some plain syrup and I'd close up the entrace for a day (leaving the vents open) and then open it back up and feed plain syrup with no smell to it.

Thanks Michael for the instant reply! I will close off the entrance and go to plain Sugar water. I wonder how long the HBH smell will linger on?
    Do you think it would be too risky to move the hive to a new location due to the new queen not being settled yet?

If you have somewhere 2 miles away, you could move them. They are a bit stressed to be moving them less and then lose a lot of bees from drifting.

I was reading an old post from Bullseye Bill where he waited till around midnight and closed his hive then, to let all the late foragers get back to the hive. That way he knew all the Bees trying to get in in the morning were the Robbers.
    How does robbing affect the new queen's chances? I am sure the whole hive is feeling pretty demoralized after being invaded.

I just gave them 12 ounces of regular sugar syrup and closed up the Nuc(vents all open). I brought the long hose down and hosed off any spilled syrup that was on the ground and the hive itself.
    It's kind of tricky feeding the Nuc. I use an aquarium hose that is poked through a hole in a screw on bottle cap that fits on coke/pepsi bottles. I stick the other end of the aquarium hose into the Nuc entrance hole and gravity feed the syrup into the Nuc. I somtimes get a conga line of bees walking up the hose and a few guard bees flying in my face. Not knowing how much is left in there from the last feeding sometimes makes me worry I may be flooding the bees out.

Once they are being robbed it's hard to know what to do. But once you get the robbing stopped, give them a frame or two of honey and DON'T feed them. I NEVER feed nucs. I just give them enough stores to get them started. Feeding anything is asking to get robbed. Feeding HBH is BEGGING to get robbed.

I just put the bees from the nuc into a 10 frame hive about 7:30 tonight after the hive robbers went back home. I had the closed nuc box at the other side of the yard most of the day so they would not be thinking so much about the Nuc bees original location. I put the new clean 10 frame deep super hive with the small wooden entrance reducer in the spot the bees were in last time they flew and put a branch in front so they will take not of the new surroundings. I hope the robbers stay away from this new hive. I didn't want to upset the queen so I took 3 frames that were stuck together and moved them as one unit. I would have liked to have seen if she was there and laying, but I guess I'll have to wait on that.

Thanks again for the timely advice.

"That way he knew all the Bees trying to get in in the morning were the Robbers. "
    A good example of why I like this place. I learn something new each time. Thanks, Bullseye!

Dickm