i've noticed several times in the past few years, that sometime during the summer i start finding very small pieces of flower pedals in the hive,usually on the bottom tray or sometimes on top of the frames,there are not alot of them,just a few occasionally ,they are a light pink,sometimes whitish and lined,they seem chewed at the edges.has anyone seen or heard of anything like this?,or know what plant it's from?

Question

i posted this topic back awhile ago with no response,yesterday i found them again,small pinkish pieces of flower pedals on my bottom tray.any guesses?milkweed?joe-pye weed?has anyone noticed this besides me?

I haven't ever noticed this - curious.

Wink

Possibilties include:

1 - Someone else opening your hives. Family member playing tricks?

2 - Bees are female and they like flowers.

3 - Drones trying to suduce and get it on.

4 - you need glasses.

5 - That last hit really was a good one. (You mentioned weed. Maybe a different brand?)

Do these sighting usually happen, lets say more frequent on Friday or Saturday nights?

Are you maybe not taking your prescription as often as they suggest?

Wink

First post took so long to post, it timed out on my computor. I resubmitted, then found out first was excepted. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited August 13, 2003).]

Thumbs down

i expected that sort of response from you,

You speak of flower pedals and NOBODY, lets repeat that, NOBODY responds to your post. No one comments, adds, detracts, or acknowledges your comment in any way since April. Then you have to reopen the post yourself in August.

I may not of answered the huge mystery of flower pedals in your hive. Sorry I could not of helped. Just having a little fun and sometimes open dialog can get a little "corny". Heaven knows I have been reading alot of it lately.

A thumbs down? Sorry I could not of made you smile a little while you ponder this great mystery. I'll stick to technical answers and forget the "fun" the next time I have the motivation to respond to one of your posts.

Cool

Hey Bjorn, don't quit, I appreciate your humor, and like to have a little fun sometimes too.
    Hoosierhiver, sorry, I have no clue what your bees are doing. I have never seen anything like it. Maybe you need a beecam.

On second thought, if they are pink/white check the milkweed in your area, and see the other post about milkweed trapping bees.

[This message has been edited by ChellesBees (edited August 14, 2003).]

>On second thought, if they are pink/white check the milkweed in your area, and see the other post about milkweed trapping bees.

That's it! ChellesBees figured it out!

The bees got stuck on the flower petal, had to chew either their foot off, or the petal, it still being stuck to their foot they drug it back to the hive!

Once back, they aquired the help of other bees to help remove it.

Having removed it, it became obvious that it was a plesant scent and they decided to keep it around as an air freshner, or since it was sticky, a mite trap.

Now why couldn't I have thought of that?

Bill

Have you ever dead-headed petunias? Your hands are so sticky, that your hands actual get little pcs. of the blooms left on them. It could be the same thing--maybe it gets stuck on them and they carry it to the hive and the others are cleaning them and they remove it! Just a thought..Please be sure to let us know what you find out. Debbie