can anyone tell me if makeing your own is any better?
    also is Tom Industies the only place to buy it?
    someone told me of a english place but must have forgot my memory is fadeing.
    thought might try to make my own for a learning thing.
    have too many hives to make it profitable on a large scale.
    If any one had any experence with it contact me. thanks
    Don

I'm not making mine, but as I understand the motivation for making your own, now that Dadant makes 4.9mm foundation, is that you can keep your wax free of chemicals which would be better for the bees. The foundation you buy is known to contain the mitacides that are being used.

Hi Don,

can anyone tell me if makeing your own is any better?

reply:

I make my own foundation. Is it better? Not really. Dadants foundation is really good. Don't get me wrong the article that I make is very good foundation. It is not an inferior product by no means. I bought my mill from Tom. I needed a 4.9 mill at the time and no 4.9 foundation was available to the industry. Also switching bees over to 49ers requires much foundation and culling. It was only the most economical choice to save $$$ in the long run. Also it was the only way to self contain clean wax that has no miticide residue.

also is Tom Industies the only place to buy it?

reply:

In the USA. Yes. Tom is the only mill maker in the entire US. Unfortunately Tom was in a comma and has just recently come out and is not making mills at this time. (I don't know if you can purchase them, but can find out). There is no one to take his place. But last I heard Tom is recovering well. So for those of you who want a mill better get one while available.

someone told me of a english place but must have forgot my memory is fadeing.

reply:

Not english, I don't think. I can check with Erik Osterlund of sweden to see who makes mills in Europe. If you want a 4.9 mill I think only two manufactures in the world (I believe).

thought might try to make my own for a learning thing.

reply:

Its not too hard. But some skill required. A bit of equipment too. Have you read foundation making under the Lusby's, Back to Biological Beekeeping?

have too many hives to make it profitable on a large scale.

reply:

Are you sure? The Lusbys are making it for 700-800 colonies (another year for 1000). I would definitely contact Dee & ED for a large setup that you require. Actually its not really any different than my setup as all the step are the same you just need more dipping boards and larger containers to hold the wax. Don, do you have a wax press?

Clay

One of my bee books has directions for making a mold press for pressing your own foundation. It seems simple, but would be too time consuming for my own use. If you would like the name of the book, I'll be happy to post it.

thanks Dragonfly
    sure could use that name of book.
    just shopping around for ways to make foundation=cheaply.
    I go thru up to 500#a yr now gets costly
    Don

The name of the book is "Keeping Bees" by John Vivian. It seems to be more of a book for the do-it-yourselfer and has some common sense advice. The copyright was 1986, but I found it new at a Border's book store a couple of months ago. The section on making a press mold is fairly detailed and it looks like a pain in the backside to make, but it reportedly works well and the pressing is simple once the mold is made. If you've ever made any plaster molds, it will be pretty easy for you to understand. I could make one, but am just not sure I want to go to the trouble with as few hives as I keep. Hope you find the book useful. If you have trouble finding the book, I'll check where I bought it and see if they have more copies.

Hi Don,

This type of press will not produce the type of quality foundation I think you are looking for. Also the foundation will be very heavy and wasteful of wax. But if you were only going to make less than 100 sheets per year it might be ok. But to make 100s of quality sheets of foundation that were consistence I don't think it would hold up or even compare with milling. But the choice is yours I just think you would be disappointed with the quality and yield.

Clay

Arrow

Hi -

For a step-by-step process of making fiberglass press plates, see: http://www.beesource.com/pov/lusby/foundation/index.htm

Regards,
    Barry

Big Grin

thanks=Barry will try to make one
    Don