Question

1. I have a hive with one box of medium frames full of honey and brood. Am I able to put another box on top or bottom of it? If I do put another box on, will they be able to heat it this winter? Or should I wait and put it on in the spring?

2. Can I paint my hives after last check of season to close in any cracks and to get a fresh coat of paint on my boxes?

1. I have a hive with one box of medium frames full of honey and brood. Am I able to put another box on top or bottom of it? If I do put another box on, will they be able to heat it this winter? Or should I wait and put it on in the spring?

Reply>>> I see you are from Delaware. I'm from northeastern PA, and the goldenrod honey is still flowing to some extent. We just got a few inches of rain, and it has really helped the flow. It seems late, but so was the rain. I just emptied a super, and placed it back on the colony, not only for cleaning purposes, but I actually expect some more honey. Probably not too much, but as long as it is flowing, let it flow. If you are putting naked foundations in the second box they might draw it out, but probably not. I think you should wait till spring, but do it early, because your bees might get crowded early, and swarm.

2. Can I paint my hives after last check of season to close in any cracks and to get a fresh coat of paint on my boxes?

Reply>> Paint them? I guess you could, but if you are worried about sealing the hive, the bees will take care of that, unless these "cracks" are very large, and if they are that large, paint won't really help. As far as a fresh coat of paint, I guess you could, but I wouldn't. I paint them in the shop, but I have alot of boxes too.

Dale
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, Pa

[This message has been edited by Hook (edited September 29, 2002).]

Cool

Dairyman, I am from southern NJ. I and the other beekeepers in this area normally keep our hives in two deep supers, that is usually enough for the bees to store about sixty pounds of stores for the winters we can have. It is probably too late for you to put more supers on if they do NOT have frames that are pulled out already. If you have frames that are pulled out already I would strongly suggest two more medium supers minimally for your hive to winter over in. The Golden Rod flow is strong this year and you may still have time for the bees to collect enough stores for the winter. (2) If your hive need painting, paint, but, do NOT paint them with the bees inside, the fumes could be hazardous if you don't exchange the super. The bees will seal up the hive with propolis. You should repair big holes. Steve

[This message has been edited by NewBee (edited September 29, 2002).]

I think you can paint them with the bees in them. I've never had a problem if I did this on a nice sunny warm, dry day and used latex paint. Under these conditions it drys almost as fast as you put it on.If it's cold and clammy the paint won't dry fast and the bees will start trying to use it for propolis.