Question

I put in a brand new hive last saturday, and I checked it yeserday and they are building up comb nd looks like there is some pollen in there, does that mean the queen is about to lay eggs??? also, I have wooden frames in there, I broke one, could i replace it with a plastic frame, would that hurt anything? :confused:
    LJC...

It sounds like the bees are doing what they are supposed to be doing. If you have some empty comb, she will start to lay eggs.
    "To bee or not to bee"

Thanx for the reply, this is starting to get addicting, its like a tiny city in there, its awesome, my dad is even getting addicted, he wants a hive next year.
    LJC...

The queen is likley already laying eggs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael How can you tell the queen is already laying eggs? and I am pretty sure I saw pollen in the combs, it was really dark, nothing was capped yet though.
    LJC...

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Stand so that the sun is behind you and angle the frame so that the light shines down in the cell. You will see a tiny white grain, that is the egg on the bottom of the cell. If you see a milky liquid in the bottom of the cell, the eggs has hatched and there is a larva in there. Within a week the brood will be large enough to see easily.

>Michael How can you tell the queen is already laying eggs?

I can't. I'm just saying she probably is by now. Did you look? The look like a tiny grain of rice in the bottom of the cell. Very hard to see on new white comb until you're used to what they look like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Area051-Please don't use the word "addicted" in this post. In case you haven't noticed we are all in a state of denial regarding our addiction. This is most likely due to the fact no one has come up with a 12 step program to "treat" this addiction. It starts where you are, then you start squirreling away money for the "next got to have piece of equipment". This leads to driving around with a plant book on the seat and identifying every thing that blooms and when, extracting honey in the kitchen, telling your friends you can't play golf this weekend because your wife has something for you to do (the lie stage), and realizing that you have been standing in front of a hive for half and hour watching bees coming and going. It has gotten to the terminal stage when you start posting in threads like beesource. For all our sakes, please choose your words carefully and welcome to the group, the few, the addicted, the stung!

The addiction can even reach the point where you
    are driving around tossing clover seed out
    the window on the grass by the edge of the road.

And trying to encourage dandelions in your lawn.

thats some funny stuff Joel, the few the addicted the stung, thats just good humor. and by the way, when i looked in the cells i thought i could see some kind of white grain.
    LJC...

>The addiction can even reach the point where you
    are driving around tossing clover seed out
    the window on the grass by the edge of the road.

I did a lot of that last year. And chickory, and goldenrod. And I get all my friends to save dandelion seeds. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hi, I'm KYBee, a new beekeeper, and I'm powerless over my beekeeping.

quote by Joel: "....realizing that you have been standing in front of a hive for half and hour watching bees coming and going. It has gotten to the terminal stage when you start posting in threads like beesource."

Man, I got terminal really fast. I do both of these things.

Area051:
    If you're still not sure, choose the frame with the most activity and hold it up like they said--they are not kidding--the sun has to be over your shoulder--and tilt it around at all different angles and all of a sudden they appear and you're like "OH!" They are like tiny grains of rice but they're on end in the cells and sticking up at different angles.

Once you see them you know what to look for from then on. If the sun is not right, you can be looking at the little reflection sparkles in honey cells with clear nectar and think it's eggs and not be sure. (personal experience here) I had a guy at a bee class hold a frame full of eggs for me and tilt it until I could see, which was really helpful.

JOEL: AMEN BROTHER SPREAD THE WORD, Have you been talking to my wife??????
    I'm starting to 'jones' gotta check the bees.
    My wife thinks I'm going outside to smoke, and really I'm sneaking out to the bee yard to check on the girls.
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)

I bet next week he has capped brood. I looked a week after hiving mine, didnt see a thing. (cloudy day) The following week I had capped brood. They were there, but I just didnt look hard enough.
    "To bee or not to bee"

You could wait a few days and see if the grains grow. How;s it going by the way. Things here are allmost so easy it is scary.

Casey is that you? hows gaum going man you lucky SOB. My hive is doing alright right now.
    LJC...

&gt;&gt;encourage dandelions in your lawn.

My favourite flower. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I got a good catch of dandilion this year, and so does my neighbour
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Yea it gets bad when the neighbor come over and asks what kind of weed killer you are useing and you say 10-10-10 lol
    Mitch KD8IMF