Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everybody,

With Thanksgiving coming, of course we all will give thanks for our bees and all that they give to us and the world.

I thought it might be nice at this time of year to hear what you all consider your favorite thing about bees and beekeeping.

I'll start off...
    My favorite thing about bees and beekeeping is seeing miracles on a frame, like a waggle dance, a newborn bee emerging from her cell, the Queen Bee walking by majestically.
    I (heart) Honeybees

Walking though a beeyard on a late afternoon/early evening during the Summer, and watching the bees zip by in search of nectar or returning with a full load, and the smell of nectar being cured that permeates through the air.
    Gregg Stewart

Too many to mention, but...

The folks on beesource.com
    The February anticipation of a good season
    Sharing information with passersby

Driving out across the rez for no reason and running across an old Navajo lady cooking frybread on the side of the road, stopping and swapping a jar of honey for a paper plate stacked high with hot greasy bread, eating as much as I can on the tailgate without anyone ever speaking.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Old saying:
    "Find a job that you LOVE, and you'll never WORK another day in your life"
    When the efforts of your day, no matter how hard or how much sweat is involved, are just part of your life you have found the right path.
    Last summer I was pulling honey and Liz brought lunch. I pulled my veil off and my hair was all matted down and face blotchy red. I had a few stingers on my side to scratch off.
    She said, "I don't know how you can put your self through all of this"
    I replied, "I love every single second of it."
    So, I am gratefull for the life that the bees provide and what I can offer them.
    Wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Seeing my kids pour honey on their food, the smell of bees evaporating nectar, pulling a full super, making lots of people happy selling the honey.

Walking up and cutting a tree limb with a hugh swarm dangling from it in a neighborhood full of onlookers. They think you are superman.

Taking that same swarm and producing 3 supers of honey that same year.

Listening to my 10 yr old tell her friends she has her own beehive.

This forum and all the great folks who post here.
    Todd Zeiner

Watching the honeybees at work

thinking about them in the winter time

Reading about them... mostly in the winter

seeing peoples eyes glow as you educate them and let them try some honey

talking with people and creating friendships

and trying to understand them
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

I'm thankful for the useful education provided by the bees and all the great folks around here who always seem so willing to help a dirt farmer with his new hobby.

Favorite thing is being in a yard when there is a strong flow on, bees flying everywhere making honey. Most people to scared to venture into the yard to bother me. Only sounds are happy humming bees making honey, puffing sound from smoker, and maybe a bird chriping in the distance. No TV, no cell phone, no screaming kids, no boss, no computer, just plain no stress !!!

With all the poetic responses that have already been posted so far what more could I say, other than I agree with all of them.

HarryVanderpool:
    My Dad always defined work as, if you are doing something and would rather be doing something else then you are working. Which is why I can’t define beekeeping as work, no matter how much I’m sweating when I’m in the bee yard I am always happy to be their.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

setting up my display at community events and seeing the look of excitment on the kids faces as I uncover the observation hive. And the time spent with my son when he can help in the bee yard.
    May the Great Spirit watch over you as long as the grass grows and the water flows.

Wow--fantastic responces. I share the love of bees with this group on beesource.com, thanks to all.
    Now that I have a five year old grandson that likes bee makes things even more rewarding. Each and every day I spend time checking out the bees, if it is unpleasant outside the observation hive fills the need. Looking forward to the coming spring season with great anticipation.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

I join in the chorus with the other responses posted so far. If I had to narrow it down to one thing, I guess that the greatest thrill for me this year has been to watch the expressions of enlightenment and pleasure when someone.... for the first time.... tastes raw unprocessed honey right from the hive, and then realizes what they have been missing. Their expressions are priceless!
    To everything there is a season ....

I certainly enjoy the anticipation of honey, and of course the reward after the anticipation is rather good too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I'm fond of the confused and terrified faces people make when I tell them I keep bees for fun.
    Most all I'm thankful for the opportunity to keep bees. They are so interesting to study or even just to sit back and watch.
    -Robert<br /><a href=\"http://photos.bobsbees.com\" target=\"_blank\">Photos and Such</a>

I like just sitting on the platform next to a hive and watching the activity. I like it when the bees ignore me and go about their business so I can watch them doing their thing. I really like watching them forage.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

Try the look in the eyes of a first grade class when you bring in the bees.

Dickm

I love being able to make a living doing something I really enjoy. The days afield when the bees are working hard and gentle, the satifaction of getting to the stage where my management actually seems to work, and working daily with my wife and son are what come to mind. The familiar odor of the hive, the evenings in the yard listening to the harmonic hum of hundreds of thousands of bees drying honey, the anticipation and reward of opening hives in the spring and finding boomers. It's great to hear the positve comments from our many loyal customers, share with others, like you, in this unique endeavor and sitting in the honey house in the dead of winter, building equipment for the next season, which will be the best season yet. Outwitting the bears and other challenges and going to bed at night with those little aches and pains that remind me I've done and honest days work. I guess that covers at least a little of it.

Well said, Joel and others. I'm feeling a tinge of envy. Reading these posts helps me understand why I enjoy this hobby so much myself.

of all the events that the bees wowed me with, I think the most memorable would be when a queen emerged from her cell as I held it while making a split. The cell was to go into the split, but after letting her walk all over me, she got her hive. A good hint here. If the bees won't accept a queen, spritz them with a weak mixture of sugar water, then spritz the queen and dump her in. The bees are so busy licking up the sugar water, the queen gets accepted every time.
    sterlingc

All of the above for me, but the most recent was seeing how excited my wife was after selling honey and other related products at our first craft fair, and actually thinking of recommending that I get another hive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast