Thread: Forced to move

Thumbs down

Had to move my hives last night and they were heavy enough had to split them apart . Got them reset in new spot .

Came a dandy storm with a lot of wind and rain . Went to check on them this morning found lids off both hives . One still had the inner cover on yet but other had bare frames exspossed to elements .

Will I have chilled brood and if so is there anything I need to do ?

Drifter

Most likely you will have no serious damage. Somehow the bees seem to manage this kind of thing quite well.

Put the tops back on, weight them down and watch the hives for a day or two. Even if some of the brood was chilled and dies the bees will soon make up for the damage.
    Ox

Depends on the amount of rain the temps etc. All you can do is put the lids on. I've had this happen and they almost always come out better than you'd think under the circumstance. Try a full size concrete block on the lid.

is prob the best reason for having innercovers on hives
    oh and by the way the higher my supers are stacked the bigger the block i set on em. lol

You can also create a peg system, so you can insert a peg into the two ends of the telescoping cover which continue until they insert into a shallow hole in your super.